installing long tube headers on my 2002 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im about to order a set of long tube headers and offroad y pipe from pace setter i heard long tube headers are a pain what kind of obsticles will i run into installing these bad boys

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see where they are really difficult to install. As far as the Y pipe is concerned, I would install the drivers side header first and leave it loose. put the pass side up and leave it loose also. install all of the Y pipes and don't clamp them up yet. After it's all loosely assembled push the headers up into there final position, tighten them down and then clamp up the Y pipe. depending on the headers, you might be able to fully install the headers and then put the Y pipe on, but just be prepared in case.

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you use ALOT of PB blaster on those manifold bolts as they are notorious for breaking and most likely will on my tahoe 3 broke and i used alot of pb blaster..other than that ^^^thats some good advice took me about 10 hours by myself in a garage with a jack to install mine and the y pipe oh and make sure to buy a new set of bolts

OP
OP
ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so PB Blaster and extra bolts
i have a 2wd
i just heard in general that long tube headers are generally a headache compared to shortys
ive been told long tube heads have more of a dramatic performance increase over shortys
also since with that off road y pipe i will nolonger have cats to stop the pcm from throwing codes theres something i need for the o2 sensors cant remember exactly

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so PB Blaster and extra bolts
i have a 2wd
i just heard in general that long tube headers are generally a headache compared to shortys
ive been told long tube heads have more of a dramatic performance increase over shortys
also since with that off road y pipe i will nolonger have cats to stop the pcm from throwing codes theres something i need for the o2 sensors cant remember exactly

The headers are easy to install... the y pipe makes it harder. But just take your time and don't force anything. Get new bolts, ARPs are awesome but cost a little. PB blast them for a couple of days.

You will need a tune "turning off" the rear O2 sensors.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Headers are easy mania fold bolts will break. And be stubborn, Y pipe can be a pain . But so worth it!

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the original y pipe was my biggest issue as nothing could loosen those bolts so i had to get the saw saw and cut it..ARP bolts are the ones i got and are great...and yess longtubes have a significant difference over the shorties but they will throw the code for not having the cats so by doing a tune you can turn off your rear o2s and the fuel/air ratio will be adjusted

2001tahoefuentes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill b installing longtube headers on my 2001 tahoe soon too is there a way i can save the factory y pipe without cutting it