Interior lights come on by walking close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Liberty80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well got a video but can’t figure how to upload it on here from my phone.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got a video but can’t figure how to upload it on here from my phone.
any video needs to be uploaded to youtube and then linked in a post.
I understand what is happening, my 18 does the same but only when you open the drivers door, regardless if you used the remote or not. if it went to sleep as soon as you open the door the fuel pump primes, screens turn on.
you might have to visit the dealer if changing the settings doesn't help
try looking under comfort & convenience settings for anything in there

OP
OP
L

Liberty80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
any video needs to be uploaded to youtube and then linked in a post.
I understand what is happening, my 18 does the same but only when you open the drivers door, regardless if you used the remote or not. if it went to sleep as soon as you open the door the fuel pump primes, screens turn on.
you might have to visit the dealer if changing the settings doesn't help
try looking under comfort & convenience settings for anything in there
I have changed every setting I can think of. I guess we will take it to the dealer. I have never had one do the way this one is. Like I said the weird part is we don’t do anything but just open the door to the garage and it comes on.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new Caddy CT4 did that when I bought it (last Tuesday). I got into the settings and fixed it. The settings on the infotainment system are very similar to my 22 Tahoe.

Look for the "vehicle locator lights" setting?

but the feature is called "Approach Detection"

jerry455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Suburban does this also. It is supposed to with the proximity fob. You might be able to disable it but why?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed every setting I can think of. I guess we will take it to the dealer. I have never had one do the way this one is. Like I said the weird part is we don’t do anything but just open the door to the garage and it comes on.
Ok, so the vehicle has this feature (Turn on interior lights when it is dark and you approach the vehicle)
It is by design, likely for safety lets you see inside before you open the doors, to make sure no nefarious occupants are inside. Part of this process is the fuel pump kicks on to prime the system (enables easier start), the logo that represents the hands free lift gate target lights up (if equipped), etc.
I believe it only happens if the doors are unlocked, but that specifically I cannot remember right now.

Note, the The FOB has motion sensors in it. The fob does go to sleep if you put it down and don't move it. I know this because once I was in my vehicle reading the owners manual, had the fob in the cupholder, after about 25 mintues, I hit the brake and the start button, and got a message in the driver information center to "Move the Fob" or something similar. I picked it up and put it back down, and then could start the car.

In your case, when you say all you do is open the door to the garage, do you mean the large garage door (that you drive through) or a small service door for a person, or perhaps the door between your home and your attached garage?

If it is the latter, do you perhaps have the fob on a magnet on the back of the door to your garage? Do you happen to have it in your hand/pocket as you open the garage door? If so, and your door is presumably in close proximity to your vehicle, your vehicle thinks you are approaching, and lights up, primes the fuel pump, (ie, wakes up from sleep) by design. Mine does this every morning as I walk out my house door into my attached garage with my fob in my pocket. If the fob is in my drawer in the house and I haven't moved it, no wake up procedure happens. I would estimate the proximity where this occurs to be moving the fob within 15-20 feet of the vehicle...as my fob battery has worn down, it is not as far, more like 10-15 feet.

If you put the fob on a table, in a drawer, or on a motionless hook in the house/away from the vehicle, then walk up to the vehicle without key in hand, it should not cause your approach lighting to turn on, because the fob will be asleep/far away from your vehicle.

Your original post seems to imply you already know this...net, it is by design, do you have some reason you don't want this happening?

Last edited:

Silverado4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new Caddy CT4 did that when I bought it (last Tuesday). I got into the settings and fixed it. The settings on the infotainment system are very similar to my 22 Tahoe.

Look for the "vehicle locator lights" setting?

but the feature is called "Approach Detection"
First thing I turned off was that when we got our Tahoe, I also turned off the tailgate foot kick sensor as everytime I washed the vehicle with the fob in my pocket the tailgate would raise when the water ran down and triggered the sensor. It kinda unsafe anyway as you have your arms full of stuff and then stand on 1 leg and raise 1 foot to trigger it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrM4TT

Latest posts