intermediate shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an 02 or newer Tahoe AND adjustable pedals.....

DO YOU NEED to purchase the Steering Column Anti Rotation Pin????

Instructions were not too clear. I am looking to either replace with a Borgeson or hunt down the directions to add a Zirk Fitting that I thought I read on here.

no, you do not need to buy that pin. just make sure that you don't let the steering wheel move all the way to the left or right. or else you'll bust a clockspring inside. you can easily just have someone hold the wheel when you loosen the bolt.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, you do not need to buy that pin. just make sure that you don't let the steering wheel move all the way to the left or right. or else you'll bust a clockspring inside. you can easily just have someone hold the wheel when you loosen the bolt.

Cool, thanks.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
These replacement ISS's are $50 plus shipping from GM Parts direct if anyone needs one. I was poking around looking for other parts and noticed they were on special.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed my ISS problem for now...

Been searching this topic out for a few days.....came across this thread with good diagrams. Decided to 'exercise' the ISS instead of replacing first to see if cures my issue. Sure did! Getting at that 15mm bolt was a minor P.I.T.A. but was worth it. She drives like new again......just a little heads up to go this route before dumpin' the $$$ on the replacement ISS ;)

-J

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey JZ, and anyone thinking of replacing the intermediate steering shaft. That 15mm nut you were talking about that holds the pin located under the dash. Here is the easy way to get to it. That nut is located at the 9 o'clock position when the wheels are straight. Before you do anything turn your wheels as far left as possible. Now that nut is at the 6 o'clock position and easy to remove. Loosen it but dont remove the pin. Straight your wheels up remove the nut and pin from under the hood then pull the pin from under the dash.

By the way, I replaced mine with a Dorman after market ISS. $74 from Advance Auto. Best maintenance I ever did. Car drives like new. No knocking / rattling and less play in the wheel.

Last edited:

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey JZ, and anyone thinking of replacing the intermediate steering shaft. That 15mm nut you were talking about that holds the pin located under the dash. Here is the easy way to get to it. That nut is located at the 9 o'clock position when the wheels are straight. Before you do anything turn your wheels as far left as possible. Now that nut is at the 6 o'clock position and easy to remove. Loosen it but dont remove the pin. Straight your wheels up remove the nut and pin from under the hood then pull the pin from under the dash.

By the way, I replaced mine with a Dorman after market ISS. $74 from Advance Auto. Best maintenance I ever did. Car drives like new. No knocking / rattling and less play in the wheel.

Thanks for the tip....yeah I stuck my head under there to see what that would take to get that part out......when my symptoms return I will prolly just pull the trigger on a new shaft. That is real useful since I didn't feel like taking off the gas pedal assembly to get at that 15 mm nut.

-J

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my yukon is making a noise kinda like this but not as loud and only lasts about one-two seconds at best.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIV8jHnfwP8

Only seems to do it when turning at slow speeds....is the intermediate shaft my problem? Noise comes from steering column as I can't hear it from outside the kon whil driving but it literally sounds like its coming from right on the other side of the airbag....any suggestions?

downs23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The intermediate steering shaft can make that noise. Mine would do it when turning, Gm replaced it twice under warranty. Noise never came back after second replacement.