intermediate shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my yukon is making a noise kinda like this but not as loud and only lasts about one-two seconds at best.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIV8jHnfwP8

Only seems to do it when turning at slow speeds....is the intermediate shaft my problem? Noise comes from steering column as I can't hear it from outside the kon whil driving but it literally sounds like its coming from right on the other side of the airbag....any suggestions?

Thanks for posting this. That's the sound mine is making too. Thought it might be my wheel hub, but did the check on that and it was fine. Then i thought it might be the ISS. Looks like that is the problem.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added the grease zerk to mine a few months ago and it's been great ever since. Haven't had to pump any more grease in yet.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so today I stopped at a stoplight and without turning my kon started making that noise but it was more like a taping....It does this when turning but I guess I hit the sweet spot and it was just rattling until I touched the wheel....Now as soon as I laid a hand on the wheel it went away as it always does...

My question is how big of a project is replacing this shaft?? couple hours....a weekend?

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so today I stopped at a stoplight and without turning my kon started making that noise but it was more like a taping....It does this when turning but I guess I hit the sweet spot and it was just rattling until I touched the wheel....Now as soon as I laid a hand on the wheel it went away as it always does...

My question is how big of a project is replacing this shaft?? couple hours....a weekend?

Re-read post #16. That costs no money and you will be able to tell if it is indeed the the ISS........

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it....you found out that the bolt was loose and tightened it up? I'm kinda lost on how to test it.

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but now that warm weather has arrived, I am going to install the Dorman replacement IS that I have had lying around since last summer and hopefully eliminate the "clunk" and loose feeling in the steering wheel that I have lived with for years! My question...is grease applied anywhere in the process of installing this shaft? As a side note, I had a mechanic tell me one time that a new shaft wouldn't last long and the best fix for this problem was to pump it full of silicone....whatever the hell that meant...

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dorman should be the new design and it doesn't use or need additional grease. Just install it and you should be fine.

davidsSLT

Reaction score
Been searching this topic out for a few days.....came across this thread with good diagrams. Decided to 'exercise' the ISS instead of replacing first to see if cures my issue. Sure did! Getting at that 15mm bolt was a minor P.I.T.A. but was worth it. She drives like new again......just a little heads up to go this route before dumpin' the $$$ on the replacement ISS ;)

-J

I went ahead and checked that 15mm bolt and it was tight as can be. So looks like I will be replacing my ISS.

Mine has loose lumber sound to it, doesnt sound like Chewbacca lol. Only way I can describe it is lumber rolling around in the bed of a truck. I also feel it in the steering wheel. I have an extended warranty, it states 'steering shaft' is covered. I will call to make sure.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and checked that 15mm bolt and it was tight as can be. So looks like I will be replacing my ISS.Mine has loose lumber sound to it, doesnt sound like Chewbacca lol. Only way I can describe it is lumber rolling around in the bed of a truck. I also feel it in the steering wheel. I have an extended warranty, it states 'steering shaft' is covered. I will call to make sure.

The tightness of the bolt has nothing to do with whether the shaft needs to be replaced or not. You have to remove that bolt so you can 'exercise the steering shaft' a few times. Pull it out as far as it goes and then push it back in. Do that a half-dozen times and then re-install it. I know it helped mine.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Interesting this thread was just brought up. I just did the temporary fix again on mine with "working" the shaft. It fixed it for nearly three years the last time I did it.

David, remove the bolt, slide the two pieces apart, and work the shaft in and out for a while. Remember to not let the steering wheel spin as you are doing this. It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes start to finish.