iphone with usb port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robsieb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree. It's very annoying. I held off purchasing a couple of different 2009's since I'd heard about the USB being in the 2010's just to find out it didn't work. It's interesting that yours is not giving an error message. There may be another problem as well as the known issue with the Nav units. Below is what GM is telling the dealers on the known issue:

#PI0003: Navigation Radio USB Error Message - (Nov 19, 2009)

Subject: Navigation Radio USB Error Message

Models: 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2010 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

All Equipped with Navigation Radio RPO UUK or UUL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may report one of two concerns:
• If a USB/ iPod® device is connected, the radio will display the "USB Error" message for three seconds , the music will stop and the radio will default to the last known radio source before the USB device was selected.

• If a USB/ iPod® device is NOT connected, the radio will display the "USB Error" message for three seconds on any of the navigation/radio screens.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering has identified this as a software calibration concern on certain vehicles equipped with DENSO navigation radios (RPOs UUK or UUL).
Important: DO NOT replace the navigation radio for this concern.
Engineering is working to provide a repair for this condition. Further information will be provided when available.

You may want to try putting some mp3's on a flash drive and connect it to the USB port in the Tahoe to see if it connects. If not, it could be a cable issue. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP

10denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are times when I connect my iphone, and other iphones, when it just doesn't do anything at all. Usually, if I turn the car off for a minute then start it again, it recognizes the iphone and works fine (except of course for the faint clicking sound). Based on what I'm seeing through these postings it's clearly a work in process for GM. Kudos to robsieb for pursuing the problem, if GM ever fixes it, will have to give credit to robsieb.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mean I can use a thumb drive to store music then the radio will play it if i stick it in the USB port? forgive me i still don't have a blackberry, Old school here. lol

OP
OP

10denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, as long as the music is in an appropriate format, I think mp3 and wma are ok, but I don't know about others. And if you have a mac computer, that presents other problems because of how the mac writes the music to the thumb drive, but if you are using a pc, you should be fine.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a long as you dont reformat the drive, you can write to it with a mac. I share files via thumb drive all the time, and play them on my ps3.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This forum is great! I just plugged a thumb drive into the USB port and as soon as i did it the Nav Screen changed to a diiferent, almost like the one it does when you put a CD on. Listed all the sings by name & artist.. Freakin awsome.. Thanks for discussing this guys ;)

robsieb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This forum is great! I just plugged a thumb drive into the USB port and as soon as i did it the Nav Screen changed to a diiferent, almost like the one it does when you put a CD on. Listed all the sings by name & artist.. Freakin awsome.. Thanks for discussing this guys ;)

Good to hear that the thumb drive works. If it were me, I'd make sure the dealer is aware of the iPod issue when/if you need to take it in for service. Drives me nuts to spend 40-50K on a vehicle that has problems connecting to the most popular music device ever.

By the way, I tried connecting a Zune. Not sure if it's related to the other issue I have or if the device is simply not supported but when connected, it didn't even think about it for a moment. The screen on the head unit quickly displayed "Device Not Supported".

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that the thumb drive works. If it were me, I'd make sure the dealer is aware of the iPod issue when/if you need to take it in for service. Drives me nuts to spend 40-50K on a vehicle that has problems connecting to the most popular music device ever.

not only does it work but the thumb drive in the USB port clears the storage bin which i thought would be a problem, you know the drop in tray organizer?

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try this in the Escalade. I really like the USB feature, wish I could add it to my Tahoe somehow. I might just buy one of those aftermarket iPod kits that work with the steering wheel and such.

jaycough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
question, i have 2010 LTZ with DVD Nav and rear DVD. USB works with IPOd, but when I plug in flash with MP3, if knows it is there then does not recognioze it. anyone with flash that works can you tell me files type, flash drive used, etc....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035