iphone with usb port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robsieb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apparently GM now has a fix that they are sending the service manager I've been dealing with. I've been told that it's not yet available to everyone but they are sending it to him to update my radio. Looks like I'll be the Guinnie pig. Fine by me as long as it gets fixed.

He's supposed to contact me once they have they update and I'll schedule a time to have it done. I'll report back what happens.

robsieb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to take the Sierra to the dealer for the update. There's good news and bad news.

The good news - The update mostly fixes the popping noise. I can plug the iPhone in and play songs or podcasts, skip from one song to the next all without hearing the popping. So far I've gone as long as an hour without having to disconnect the device due to popping and this was only because I was getting out of the truck. It may be just my imagination but I actually think the sound quality is better too.

The bad news - The popping can be made to happen. If you're listening to a song and hit the FF button for a few seconds the popping starts again and the only way to stop it is to reconnect the device. This also brings up another problem. If during the popping noise you switch over to a podcast (and I can't say for certain if it's just podcast) it will not play. Nothing, no audio at all. The information about the podcast shows on the screen, you can switch from podcast to music but no audio at all from either until you reconnect the device.

Part two of the bad - The charging may or may not work. This issue does not seem to be resolved at all. The first day after the update I could get about 10 minutes worth of charging but then the iPhone would throw up the "Device not supported" message and charging would stop. Also, seems that the first time you plug the device in after it's been restarted the radio will not connect. You have to pull the cable and reconnect. Most times now it will charge for about a minute and quit.

Part three of the bad news - During playback, be it music or podcast, at any given time (I haven't been able to see a pattern yet) the audio from the iPhone drops out, not all the way, just a quieting down for a split second. It's hard to describe but I guess I would say it sounds as if the signal weakens for just a moment and then goes back to normal.

Part four of the bad - Pressing the FF button a few seconds or a few times during the playback of a podcast causes the above symptom of the audio stopping completely.

Am I happy? Somewhat. I no longer have to constantly disconnect the device to stop the popping. Could I live with it with the other problems? Possibly. I very seldom use the FF key so I probably wouldn't have a problem with the popping. Is charging an issue? For me, not really. I usually am in the truck no more than an hour at a time. For me the update is bitter sweet or one step forward and two back.

I've sent an email to the service manager who's forwarded it to engineering so now we wait but at least I don't have to keep reconnecting it to stop the popping. Currently I'm supposedly the only one who's received the update which was done using a USB flash drive in the USB port in the console. Engineering has yet to release this to the general public and I would hope that after reading my email they will go back and have another look before putting it out there so for the moment I'd recommend holding tight. As soon as I hear something I'll be back with the details.

Last edited:

swacker69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rob

Your the man dude, thanks for the update. I was waiting to see what happened with your scenario before I took mine to my dealer here in Houston. My dealer wants to change this piece and that piece and before you know it the entire freaking car has been swapped out and your still at square one! Please keep us informed

Greg

robsieb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greg:

Yep, save yourself the trouble right now. I've already had all that done, even had the entire console and seats out replacing a wiring harness just to find out that it's a firmware issue as I told them it was in the first place. Now they just have to get it right. As soon as I hear back I'll let you know and if I can get a PI number from them once it works to save everyone having to find it.

Rob

jKipler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My nano has worked in my '07, maybe its a cord problem? I don't know too much about it, I'm kind of new to all this stuff.

swacker69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have done the following. Bought a new nano and bought a new cord. Same result. I have used a USB Stick and no issues what so ever. Leads me to believe that Apple and GM arent playing well with each other.

Cabowabo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the same issues with the iPhone/iPod in my 2010 Tahoe. Is there any easy way to convert my iTunes library to mp3 so I can put it on a USB drive?

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. as long as it isn;t downloaded from the itunes store.

highlight the tune and choose create mp3 version from the menus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts