Is This Camshaft Reusable? Or Too Pitted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmo2610

Reaction score
This is in relation to my engine knock thread. Before I pull the other head, I'd love y'all's opinion on this cam. This is a pretty expensive decision for me to go any further (especially if not needed). Is this cam too pitted to reuse?

Note: The other thread relating to cams in this forum didn't have a pic that would load, so I didn't have anything to compare to. Sorry for a similar question.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is in relation to my engine knock thread. Before I pull the other head, I'd love y'all's opinion on this cam. This is a pretty expensive decision for me to go any further (especially if not needed). Is this cam too pitted to reuse?

Note: The other thread relating to cams in this forum didn't have a pic that would load, so I didn't have anything to compare to. Sorry for a similar question.
In my amateur opinion, yes, it's too pitted to reuse. What I see in the video is the early stages of spalling of the lobes, and that only goes one way: progression to failure over time.

Replacing the cam adds labor and expense, of course, but you will have more faith in the results over the long haul.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you got the head off I assume you're already replacing the lifters, it's not much more work to get the timing cover off to swap the cam. I would say go ahead and replace it. Without knowing what engine I'm looking at or whether that is a VVT cam or not there are several options out there for you. Looks like you have some mechanical inclination to get that deep into the engine, so go ahead and do it right while you have the chance.

OP
OP
J

jmo2610

Reaction score
If you got the head off I assume you're already replacing the lifters, it's not much more work to get the timing cover off to swap the cam. I would say go ahead and replace it. Without knowing what engine I'm looking at or whether that is a VVT cam or not there are several options out there for you. Looks like you have some mechanical inclination to get that deep into the engine, so go ahead and do it right while you have the chance.
Well, I'd say taking out the radiator and water pump and timing cover is a considerable amount more work. :Big Laugh: It's an L94 6.2 Vortec 6200

OP
OP
J

jmo2610

Reaction score
If the word pit is included as part of the description related to your question, then it’s time to shop for new stuff.
Ugh. I mean, that's a logical answer. But I don't like it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still say wipe the lobe clean and redo video. the oil isn't making it look good forsure

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got picture of roller lifter that came out of that position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roque44

Latest posts