Just got my letter re: door handle fix, keep shouting for a dash fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdubz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Solution for anyone who did NOT get a letter

I did NOT receive a letter, when I came into my local GMC dealership they showed me that my VIN was about 4000 numbers above the range of those that were authorized(and got a letter).

After a wonderful hour long phone call with GMC to verify that yes, my VIN is not included :emotions122: my dealer agreed to take care of it for me.

If you are not so fortunate, or would rather save the time, I got my hands on the procedure document for changing the handles and the part number for the repair kit.

Looks to be between 8-12 dollars, replaces both sides, works for front and rear. To be clear, that would be one kit to fix the front doors and one more for the rears.

The procedure is very simple, remove the handle cup, tap out the small end of the pin that the handle pivots on. Install new handle and include new pin in the reverse order.

Anyhow, no more excuses for duck taped door handles on an otherwise awesome truck.
Cheers,
Andrew

GreenDen07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Noticed the right front inside handle peeling about a day after buying our '07 Yukon D. It was "very" small at the time, and I just happen to catch a little reflection. Of course, I've picked at it a little since then. I bought the new door handle a few days later, and of course "then" decided to check here. I really didn't think this would be such a widespread and talked-about item, but have found lots of discussion here and many other forums/sites.

Apparently the repair kit is just $12 (per the above post, and other sources), includes 2 chrome handles and 2 new pins (why the pins?), whereas the handle from the dealer is the whole handle, and its parts cannot be ordered separately, and cost $125 (see attached pic). I was thinking about just replacing it myself, now that I know how the assembly is attached to the door panel (see 2 pix - there are a lot of protuberances, but only 3 are the clips that go into the door panel), but GM might not want to reimburse me for the whole handle assembly, if all they're really replacing is the chrome piece and a pin.

BTW, I had a new '84 Celebrity whose both front door inside handles broke after about 5-6 years, just a month apart. They broke at the little hole where the long rod slips through - the holes were drilled with not much material remaining along one edge, so it's surprising they lasted that long. The new ones were the same, but I only kept the car for another 4 years.

So, I will print out a few things and see what the dealer can do. My VIN is beyond the list's numbers, but sure has the same problem. From "gm-trucks.com", Jan 11, 2011, one who had an Avalanche with this problem, got this letter from the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center :

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I understand that you're requesting that your 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche be included on Special Coverage 09239 Front Rear Chrome Int Door Handle.

I am sorry to hear that your vehicle was not included on the list of vehicles affected by peeling of the Chrome on the inside door handles. Please know that special coverages are Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) specific and not all vehicles with the same year, make and model are included. Your vehicle was not built on the plant that manufactured 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche's that may experience this condition within 10 years or 100,000 miles. I apologize if our decision was not in accordance to your wishes but we will no longer address communication pertaining to this issue.
[Door slams]

That appears to be his last post.

Well, I don't care where mine was built, because I bet the handles were all made somewhere else (at least all the bad ones), and according to the summary at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov:

MY 2007 subject vehicles are cited in more than 90 percent of the consumer complaints, injury reports, and warranty claims, respectively. In addition, improvements in the door handle manufacturing process during the MY 2007 production resulted in a decline in the occurrence of peeling/flaking of the thin chrome plating.

The other handles (LF, LR, RR) look really good.

I'll let ya know.

Dave H.

Attachments

• 07-Denali_RightInsideDoor-Partial.jpg
    07-Denali_RightInsideDoor-Partial.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 07-Denali_RightInsideDoorHandle-FullBackView-Resamp.jpg
    07-Denali_RightInsideDoorHandle-FullBackView-Resamp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 07-Denali_RightInsideDoorHandle-SideBackView-Resamp.jpg
    07-Denali_RightInsideDoorHandle-SideBackView-Resamp.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Fish1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 08 Tahoe that has the rough/peeling door handles. How do I go about getting these replaced. Do I email GM and ask them for a letter I can take to my local dealership?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
domin8,

Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance regarding the cobalt?

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

I was surprised to see that GM addressed this problem on the Tahoe. My wife's 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS hs the same problem, yet GM has been sitting on their hands. Maybe somebody should show them all the posts on the Cobalt forums.

onepoorpilot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ha

Dude that is a serious fu*king crack. Sorry to see that. I would be shouting too.lol Good luck with that.

Any idea what would cause some to crack and others not too?

You havnt even seen my cracks! I have 4 now... GM rep was a PUNK and wouldnt do anything to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx