K5L Fans on GMT800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious on swapping out 7/9 or 5/5 2nd design 700w K5L fans on my Tahoe. Presently it is a 2005 with factory 300k+ eFans and a 160amp alternator.

I see a lot of posts about them being swapped on GMT900s, but not a lot on the 800s. Looking up, it looks as if when equipped with K5L, you'd have a 160amp alternator.

Does anyone know if the GMT800 when equipped with efans, and a 160amp alternator will be OK for these stronger fans? Or when performing this upgrade is anyone upgrading wiring/fuses/relays/etc?

Thanks.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gone through a number of iterations with e-fan conversion on my 2004. They ALL suck a lot of power when the blower is on high in the heat of a Texas summer. I'm not wholly comfortable with the dips despite upgrading to a Mechman 240a (i had 145a from factory) and doing a big 4. You might be better off since you've got the RVC setup - my 04 doesn't. I think my idle is too low to get enough generation going with all the drag. Or I have another issue going on. Or the motors need replacing.

I've done regular OEM 5/7, K5L 7/9, and K5L 5/5 new design. Settled on K5L 7/9. They all fit fine.

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you @mattbta Appreciate the info. I think I am going to try some 7/9 and new motors. From my looking it doesn't seem like the E-Fan'd 160amp 800 is much different from a 900 in terms of fan harness or wiring.

Thank you again. I will report back.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you @mattbta Appreciate the info. I think I am going to try some 7/9 and new motors. From my looking it doesn't seem like the E-Fan'd 160amp 800 is much different from a 900 in terms of fan harness or wiring.

Thank you again. I will report back.
i used an oem harness and haven't had any relay melting issues like the aftermarket.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 05 Tahoe, I swapped to the K5L 2nd design 5/5 700w fans and they fit the same has the 1st design and worked very well. I now have them in my 09 Tahoe cooling my 3 core radiator, but they are a bit noisy when on high compared to the 1st design ones. You can't go wrong with either style K5L fans, and your 160amp alternator will be ok.

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all... gives me confidence with this. They are definitely easy to swap out, but the wiring/relays/harness was what I was curious on -- so thank you.

Called up a local wrecking yard that 3x over guaranteed they had a 7/9 fan assembly and pulled it for me. Drive 30 minutes to pick it up to find it was a 5/7 like I already have. So I've been looking up vehicles in two local/semi-local U Pull It Yards and plugging their VINs into a GM SI decoder and have found some with K5L.

Looks like tomorrow AM I will visit some yards in hopes that fan assemblies haven't been robbed and or mangled in a front end impact. Already have new 700w motors coming tomorrow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all... gives me confidence with this. They are definitely easy to swap out, but the wiring/relays/harness was what I was curious on -- so thank you.

Called up a local wrecking yard that 3x over guaranteed they had a 7/9 fan assembly and pulled it for me. Drive 30 minutes to pick it up to find it was a 5/7 like I already have. So I've been looking up vehicles in two local/semi-local U Pull It Yards and plugging their VINs into a GM SI decoder and have found some with K5L.

Looks like tomorrow AM I will visit some yards in hopes that fan assemblies haven't been robbed and or mangled in a front end impact. Already have new 700w motors coming tomorrow.
if you want the 7/9 blade you can find them in hummer H2's and Escalades or others optioned with k5l, seems like they only made the 7/9 blade for a couple years around 07-09
the motors are 700w, left & right motors are different (shaped different and mount different) and so is the way the fan blade mounts
these motors only fit the 7/9 blade housing

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireball17