K5L Fans on GMT800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15780789 - i use this to search for K5L

I got my first 7/5 from a junkyard and then the next two K5L off eBay for reasonable cost. Protip: "watch" a set from an auto recycler. They'll usually send you an "offer" of a discount. Counter that with what you're willing to spend. They usually accept.

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I scored today! I remembered at the local wrecking yard seeing a PPV GMT900 Tahoe. I looked up their inventory and ran the VIN to find K5L.

Showed up to it and the fans were still in it and in great shape! Super stoked for $25.

IMG_3898.jpeg

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you though for the part numbers and the offer advice. I think these 7/9 are not ever listed correctly.

Will degrease and wash them up this afternoon, take em apart and put the new motors in and give em a spin.

Think I’ll hook up a tech2 and make a video of them on low and high just for reference for others.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you though for the part numbers and the offer advice. I think these 7/9 are not ever listed correctly.

Will degrease and wash them up this afternoon, take em apart and put the new motors in and give em a spin.

Think I’ll hook up a tech2 and make a video of them on low and high just for reference for others.
same fans I have in mine, had to replace both NEW motors once since I have had them. in both cases the harness connector burnt a little inside nearest the motor
not sure why defect I guess. first it was the left side replaced the motor and the harness, then a while later it was the right side, did the same replaced the motor and harness.
discovered it happening when 1 motor wasn't coming on and I touched the harness and it instantly turned on, then the 2nd time I had them out to replace the radiator and upon inspection of the harness discovered it was melting so I replaced it

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SI decoder?
GM dealers and technicians have access to GM Service Information (SI). It lists all repairs or maintenance a vehicle had when it was at an authorized GM garage. Additionally you can take a VIN and list all RPO codes.

I use a website called www.free-vin-decoder.com. It must have an API to pull from GM SI or they just know all the VINs.

I enter a VIN on there to see if it has the RPOs I like. I used this big time when looking for and buying my Z71 Suburban from Texas. My wife’s DD.

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_3899.jpeg

Got the blades off, motors unbolted and everything washed.

Good call on new motors. These spun hard with some bad spots felt in the armature. And they look crusty.

IMG_3903.jpeg

New motors showed up. Genuine Bosch.

IMG_3905.jpeg

Time to assemble.

IMG_3901.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Score anything else off that GMT921 PPV?
No nothing else really caught my eye. Front clip was gone. Had some 243 heads which is cool. Have a buddy who needs a set for his LS1 C5, but I didn’t feel like pulling them haha.

OP
OP
R

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the fan assembly in, bolted up and plugged in. Started the truck and they worked well. Low speed fans sound about the same, high speed sure is loud and moves some air. Awesome!

When on high speed I did not see any voltage drop or issue. Volt gauge showed fine at 14. So I think I’ll be good!

Will make a video demonstrating in a few days.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored today! I remembered at the local wrecking yard seeing a PPV GMT900 Tahoe. I looked up their inventory and ran the VIN to find K5L.

Showed up to it and the fans were still in it and in great shape! Super stoked for $25.

View attachment 429940
$25 is a steal! Those fans sell for over $100 in CA junkyards. How many more can be had for $25?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grantprior13