Knock sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rushingman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I can't post this in engine or performance, so I had to post it here.
My 2005 tahoe has a check engine light on and I took it to oreillys, and they said it's my knock sensor, anyone know about that, or what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding they basically make sure your timing does not exceed a specified value in your operating system (ECM). They are located under/in valley plate under the intake manifold. Hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Should also note that do help keep truck running on the edge for peak performace / mpg. While adjusting to keep from having fuel detonation which is all bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 under the intake manifold. They usually fill with water and/or the sub-harness wiring crumbles.

NovelX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, Rush

If its your knock sensors then you definitely feel a lost of power under throttle.

Use only new "GM OEM knock sensor's" for replacements.

DO NOT-DO NOT use aftermarket knock sensor listed in local auto shops such as (Autozone, Oreillys) The crystals inside those aftermarket knock sensors are not the correct frequency for your vehicle.

Just like the above mentioned 2 knock sensors under the intake manifold. Will also need new GM OEM knock sensor wire harness and rubber boot seals.
You can test the sensors old and new by connecting a small digital volt meter to them. Slight tap brand NEW GM knock sensors with a pencil and it should give off a reading. OLD or AFTERMARKET sensors will mostly need a heavy hit or bang from a wrench to give off a volt reading.

*Repair
Remove intake manifold
Permanently remove the foam installation under the intake manifold. Not Needed
Remove old (rusted) wire harness and knock sensors
Clean housing
Replace knock sensor's with correct Inch per lb torque
Properly fit/connect wire harness (snap on)
Replace rubber seals boots. Seal generously with some high temp RTV sealant (seal against water)
Replace intake manifold with correct pattern and inch per lb torque.
Reconnect wire harness to CPU wire

Then you should have all your power back, as the knock sensors allow the CPU to read ping/knock of engine misfires and corrects timing for max balance power output.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365