Knocking sound from the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going crazy w this one. When I hit bumps, something knocks in the rear. Can't seem to pinpoint it. I removed everything from the cargo area with no luck. Then I thought it was my hitch, so I removed it, still hear the noise. I just opened the gate and stood on the bumper, pushing it up and down w my body and it sounded like it was coming from the lift supports, but I drive w the gate closed obviously. I slammed the gate shut and will drive around some, but doubt it's that. Must be something in the suspension (have brand new Arnott shocks and compressor). Anyone ever experience this?

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your spare underneath? Could it be a little loose and rattling around?

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I have this issues and so does my moms escalade but it hasnt been bad enough to get me to devote time to it yet. I'd love to hear the fix for it

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May sounds stupid but you rechecked the bolts on the shocks?

comerz1

Reaction score
I have read about autoride and airride stuff to the point I am blue in the face, no personal experience yet, but I recall something that may help you. Make sure you have air in the bags of your rear shocks. If not, the arnotts are prone to moving at the top/bottom joint. The pressure in the bag will keep this tight but some people were experiencing as much as 1" of movement here. Just grab it where the two overlap and see if you can move it at all.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare tire won't budge. I'll check the shocks as mentioned as well as the bolts....
Thanks guys

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

I have read about autoride and airride stuff to the point I am blue in the face, no personal experience yet, but I recall something that may help you. Make sure you have air in the bags of your rear shocks. If not, the arnotts are prone to moving at the top/bottom joint. The pressure in the bag will keep this tight but some people were experiencing as much as 1" of movement here. Just grab it where the two overlap and see if you can move it at all.
Can't get under there yet (damn dirty ice everywhere), but I reached through the wheel well to the top of the shock and I'm able to move the cover? (Not sure what it's called) up and down a half inch or so. It clanks when I move it up. This tell us anything?

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the jack and tire blocks in your cargo area. Mine came loose and knocked around a bit.

I would also check and see if you have any play in your rear axle. Jack the entire rear end up and see if you have any side-to-side movement with the tires/wheels.

Try the obvious {least expensive} stuff first. ie, loose spare tire, tire changing kit, seat belt knocking around, loose shocks, old can of tuna rolling around in the back..... you get the point.

comerz1

Reaction score
Can't get under there yet (damn dirty ice everywhere), but I reached through the wheel well to the top of the shock and I'm able to move the cover? (Not sure what it's called) up and down a half inch or so. It clanks when I move it up. This tell us anything?

Sounds like you may have found it. I will PM you the link if I can find it again. It's a lot to read but the most comprehensive thing I have found on the autoride/air ride suspension.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still scratching my head.
I kicked the spare tire and heard a noise, so I whipped out the jack tools and I was able to tighten it a bit. Drove around and thought I got it, and then"clack." Only happens when I hit certain bumps. Yesterday I sat in the back and had someone drive. I swore it was the passenger side, then at the end of the ride it sounded like the middle or drivers side. If it's the Arnotts, I'm going to pissed bc I was willing to get OEMs, but thought the Arnotts might provide better handling and a comparable ride for less money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320