long tubes?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitetrashballin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
alright i just bought a 2001 tahoe needs new cats current ones leak noticeably right now i got it cut right after the cat.... i plan on getting it tuned asap just not sure on what route to go yet and if i got enough cash saved yet.... i want to put longtube header to a y pipe to some type of muffler to a single dump out the side or back to stock location... any recommendations on sizes of piping to keep sufficient back pressure?????

since i wont be tuning it right away i was wondering if i could cheat maybe through this winter and just run o2 sensor simulators? has anyone done this and does it work?

i just dont want the check engine light to come on and it run like sh**. id get it tuned first but it needs exhaust right now and id get both but i got other toys that need some money too (detonated a piston in my nova)

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roger, look at a set of longtubes, and an ORY pipe. That will take away the cats, IF it's legal to do so in your area.
Then, I say a Black Bear tune ( would HIGHLY recommend it anyway) and have Justin do an 02 delete so you have no codes. Then, sit back and feel the extra power.

As far as pipe, keep the single 3" on one side, and dump. No need for true duals.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be able to run LT's w/Cats without a tune or O2 sim's

I had no issues with my Kooks W/random tech cats on my GTO (till I threw the Cam in , then it needed a tune)

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Roger, look at a set of longtubes, and an ORY pipe. That will take away the cats, IF it's legal to do so in your area.

it is not LEGAL to remove the Cats on any Street use vehicle in the US

many areas don't inspect/test
but that dosn't mean it's legal to remove your cats

they are under a federal requirement.

good luck

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is not LEGAL to remove the Cats on any Street use vehicle in the US

many areas don't inspect/test
but that dosn't mean it's legal to remove your cats

they are under a federal requirement.

good luck

you say this like I didn't know this....................

it's not legal to drink and drive...do people do it?
it's not legal to take cats off...do people do it?
it's not legal to sell drugs...do people do it?

Do I encourage any of this...no, will people do it...?
My comment as IF it's legal, I mean is it something he doesn't care about, nor worry he will be caught.
Some worry and wont do it...........some dont care, legal or not.

OP
OP
W

whitetrashballin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This vehicle will be offroaded dirt roaded more than anything I live in a rural farm town everone runs without cats here.. and they all have the cel on haha... I wouldnt compare deleting cats to selling drugs or driving drunk more like loud stereos illegal aftermarket lights illegal tint.... the worst they can do is tell me to put cats on it if they ever find out noise ordinance ticket maybe... I know its illegal but its a stupid law..... any legit site links to buy some headers from? they got some on ebay for 250 but they seem kinda scetchy

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue -
your statement "IF it's legal to do so in your area." implys that there are areas where it is legal (and there are not)
the statement could be "misleading" to some readers ;)

as far as where to buy headers,
first, I'd recomend picking a good (QUALITY, Staneless, thick flanges) brand:
Kooks, Staneless Works, Dynatech, SLP, Borla

Edit:
I did a little searching,
and I'm not finding much for headers for our SUV's
I found PaceSetters (but they have a bad reputation for being low quality (mild steal, thin flanges, etc...) like ******, headman, etc...)

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue -
your statement "IF it's legal to do so in your area." implys that there are areas where it is legal (and there are not)
the statement could be "misleading" to some readers ;)

as far as where to buy headers,
first, I'd recomend picking a good (QUALITY, Staneless, thick flanges) brand:
Kooks, Staneless Works, Dynatech, SLP, Borla

Edit:
I did a little searching,
and I'm not finding much for headers for our SUV's
I found PaceSetters (but they have a bad reputation for being low quality (mild steal, thin flanges, etc...) like ******, headman, etc...)

LPP Parts is a sponsor on GMFS. They make good quality ORY and Longtubes for out trucks.

OP
OP
W

whitetrashballin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the info.. are the LPP worth the money? anyone use them? i talked to a guy i work with and he said one of his friends has the hp tuner? and could probably tune the sensors out.. he did it on his denali.. but talk is cheap haha... think the ebay ones are worth a shot? probably just go with the lpp cuz the ebay ones look like they would flow weird..smaller collectors and y-pipe needs to be welded what type of muffler should i run to try to compensate backpressure??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I have the setup you want and or are talking about with the DynaTech LTs with free flow cats Y'ed in to a single one chamber IMCO / Cherry Bomb muffler donky dicked down right before the axle. oh and BTW I Love My setup!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES