making the steereing firmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon xl Denali… one thing I would really like to do is to change the "over sensitive steering" to a variable rate assist.. or at least make a stiffer feel to add stability at speeds above a parking lot rate… it is way too easy to turn the steering wheel.
Does anyone know of a mod to give a firmer feel? More like the 2500

blondie70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find my steering to be very sensitive. I would also like to firm it up a bit. I'll keep an eye on this thread ! Good Luck

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A relatively simple supercharger mod is to use a slightly smaller pulley wheel to ramp up the boost sooner.
Would a slightly larger pulley installed on the power steering pump reduce the assist?

OP
OP
D

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A relatively simple supercharger mod is to use a slightly smaller pulley wheel to ramp up the boost sooner.
Would a slightly larger pulley installed on the power steering pump reduce the assist?
Good question… can anyone with experience comment on this?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon xl Denali… one thing I would really like to do is to change the "over sensitive steering" to a variable rate assist.. or at least make a stiffer feel to add stability at speeds above a parking lot rate… it is way too easy to turn the steering wheel.
You want more positive caster in your wheel alignment. I like a .4 degree spread between sides with the right having more. Mine was last set at 3.7 and 3.9 degrees. I liked it a little better at 3.2 and 3.6 for the spread.

You don't go to just any alignment tech and specify this as most are only trained to put it in the green and send it. You'll want to vet a couple of places, tell them exactly what you want and get before and after readings if you decide to do this. I went to my local dealer where the tech was an expert on our cars and had been on the job for over 20 years, a professional.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question… can anyone with experience comment on this?

this most likely won't work, I've never put a gauge port on power steering specifically, but other hydraulic systems the fluid pressure is set by a valve, and while slowing it down might give you a little less pressure at low rpm, as soon as the engine revs up the pressure would come right back up to the set point. you'd need to adjust that set point, or if these are like most newer racks, the ecm or bcm control the steering feel by mph. I don't know forsure these have that since I have a odd ball 1st Gen electric rack in mine. but if you do have a veritable assist, I don't know if you can change that. unplugging it usually defaults to least assist but probably set codes.

as said above, alignment is probably the only practical solution.

Marty_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM power steering has always felt disconnected(?) from the road. Lol, can't think of a good analogy here; Tugboat going downstream with the barge it is towing doing the steering comes near how Chev, Buick, Pontiac, Olds and GMC power steering feels. Had a new 88 Delta 88 2 door, front wheel drive that the steering felt very connected. Have had many other GM products with the bland steering.

OP
OP
D

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want more positive caster in your wheel alignment. I like a .4 degree spread between sides with the right having more. Mine was last set at 3.7 and 3.9 degrees. I liked it a little better at 3.2 and 3.6 for the spread.

You go to just any alignment tech and specify this as most are only trained to put it in the green and send it. You'll want to vet a couple of places, tell them exactly what you want and get before and after readings if you decide to do this. I went to my local dealer where the tech was an expert on our cars and had been on the job for over 20 years, a professional.
i will try this, thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369