Moaning when turning in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I am back again.

Bought the 2004 Tahoe Z71 in October. It was loud when in Auto4WD and 4HI. I took the front diff out and had it rebuilt. One of the bearing races showed wear, but that was it. The noise is still there as far as I am concerned. So I wasted my money on that repair.

I am not gonna put more money into trying to find the rumble, but now I've noticed when turning in 4WD even when it is slippery out there is a moaning sound (best way to describe it) it gets louder the sharper the turn, and goes away again when straightened out. The same sound was there before the rebuild. I assumed they were related. They may still be.

Is this common? The 4WD system on this thing SUCKS!

Drove our 2500HD 2005 work truck and put it in 4Hi on blacktop and turned and it made no extra noises.

If I didn't like the rest of the truck so much it would have already been sold by now.

HELP!

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just noticed mine did it the other day..most likely a CV axle..both of my hubs are new so the CVs are the only thing that have any extra stress on them in 4x4 and turning

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You stated its loud in auto 4wd and 4 wheel hi but do you hear anything in 2wheel drive? I would think its more the transfer case. When you engage in 4 wheel drive you are adding load to it and that can be your issue. Be safe and change the fluid in the transfer case and see if that helps, of course this all depends on your answer to my first question if you hear anything in 2wheel drive?

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the transfer case doesnt really see any added stress when turning..its a front end part or the front diff..it will normally do it when you turn one way but not the other, so that means its some part in the front that rotates and turns, which would be a hub or cv axle..

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
power steering pump comes to mind, under the extra stress of it being in 4wd its harder to turn the tires. check your power steering fluid.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same symptoms on my 2003 z71. I brought it to the dealer and to a transmission shop who tore apart the front differentials. They both said it was normal and everything was fine. I've owned it since it was new and I know it didn't always make this noise. I've posted on a few forums and everyone has said that after things get worn in a bit, they start to groan, and that theirs makes the same noises. I've got 110k on mine, how many miles on yours? I know of at least 5 other people with the same or higher mileage that said theirs also groans in auto and 4hi.

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You stated its loud in auto 4wd and 4 wheel hi but do you hear anything in 2wheel drive? I would think its more the transfer case. When you engage in 4 wheel drive you are adding load to it and that can be your issue. Be safe and change the fluid in the transfer case and see if that helps, of course this all depends on your answer to my first question if you hear anything in 2wheel drive?

It is not loud in 2WD at all. As soon as I punch the Auto4WD button I hear a low rumble, put it in 4-hi the rumble gets a little louder. Put it back in 2wd and the noise goes away (as everything winds back down).

the transfer case doesnt really see any added stress when turning..its a front end part or the front diff..it will normally do it when you turn one way but not the other, so that means its some part in the front that rotates and turns, which would be a hub or cv axle..

True, it's louder when turning for sure.

power steering pump comes to mind, under the extra stress of it being in 4wd its harder to turn the tires. check your power steering fluid.

I will check the PS fluid, but wouldn't that moan around every turn and especially when cycling the wheels sitting still?

I have the exact same symptoms on my 2003 z71. I brought it to the dealer and to a transmission shop who tore apart the front differentials. They both said it was normal and everything was fine. I've owned it since it was new and I know it didn't always make this noise. I've posted on a few forums and everyone has said that after things get worn in a bit, they start to groan, and that theirs makes the same noises. I've got 110k on mine, how many miles on yours? I know of at least 5 other people with the same or higher mileage that said theirs also groans in auto and 4hi.

I bought mine with 126K, and it now has 133K. The front differential has about 600 miles on it since all the bearings and seals were replaced and the gears setup. I had a reputable shop do the work, so I am fairly confident it was done right. However, since the noise in 4wd and auto 4wd is still there, I am now not so sure the front diff even needed rebuilt!

Is a bad transfer case a common problem on these?

I can't accept the "that's normal" answer. Nothing else I've ever owned does this. People who ride with me think my truck is broken. It's not normal.

I really like the tahoe, but this issue is enough to make me sell it and go back to a duramax.

Last edited:

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not the transfer case..it wouldnt make different sounds when turning and going straight..the front diff would take up whatever stress and the tcase just transfers the power to that..but since it happens when turning, its something on the outer end of the drive train..the wheel hub assemblies and the CVs are the only thing with pressure on them, that turn while driving and turning

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not the transfer case..it wouldnt make different sounds when turning and going straight..the front diff would take up whatever stress and the tcase just transfers the power to that..but since it happens when turning, its something on the outer end of the drive train..the wheel hub assemblies and the CVs are the only thing with pressure on them, that turn while driving and turning

Nick I understand where your coming from but you have to understand the pressure on the transfer case clutches inside. When you turn there is pressure on many things one being the transfer case to engage the wheels to turn. You know what why don't you do this take out the front propshaft and see if you get any noises when you engage in four wheel drive. Keep in mind if you do this you must mark the propshaft so it goes back in the same way it came out. Also as you stated no noises at all when in two wheel drive, keep that in mind.

Of course what I'm stating in my posts are just my thoughts and point of views. Just trying to help out. Did you ever check the fluid in your transfer case?

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand there is some pressure on it, but the sound normally changes depending on which way you have the wheels turned..if it was a constant noise, i would say possibly the t case or front diff, but even on a slippery surface like snow, it makes noise, and increases with wheel speed 99% of the time..

also, my front shaft turns no matter what in 2wd or 4wd..it gets worse the more i turn the wheel, and the more throttle i give it..which leads me to believe its the cv or a hub..i hope its not a hub since they are both brand new in the fall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian