Model specific suspension options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Can you guys help me understand what the suspension options are. I've read 4 different articles form various magazines etc. and there are conflicting statements regarding the standard suspension on the Yukon vs. Tahoe.

What I think I understand is that the magnetic ride suspension is only available on the LTZ and Denali? I've read a version of this as well though in two reviews which allude to the fact the GMC SLT has it as well?

"GM also improved the truck's magnetic ride control, the adaptive suspension system. It is standard on the Yukon Denali, Chevy LTZ, and GMC SLE trims, and softened the bumps, keeping these hefty bricks on wheels from feeling top-heavy"

"We tested models with magnetic ride control, gifted from decades-long Corvette and Cadillac development. Here its presence is less about sportiness and more about quelling body roll and head toss. It's only available on LTZ-edition Chevys but comes standard on the Yukons"

Any thoughts?

twhitechurch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ls Tahoe has leaf spring, Lt Tahoe SLT Yukon have premium ride suspension which I have no idea what it is, Denali LTZ and escalade have magnetic ride

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is this information that the LS Tahoe has rear LEAF springs. 1/2 ton Tahoes and Suburbans have not had leaf springs since 2000 in any configuration and I don't think they have gone back to it. Can someone tell me where this stated by GM.
Granted, 2000 to 2014 3/4 tons have rear leaf springs, but as far as I know, no 2015 is offered with leaf springs in the rear.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Well I went back and read some of the articles and low and behold, one of these idiot writers who cant even seem to lay down and look underneath say that the rear suspension on 2015 Tahoes and Yukons is a "live axle on semi-elliptical leaf springs."
Wrong!!!, why do these guys even write about cars at all.
Both Chevy and GMC refer to the rear suspension on all model levels as "multi-link", i.e. "coil spring rear." The Chevy LTZ, GMC Denali and Caddy Escalade have the magnetic ride control shocks.

twhitechurch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wasn't fully wrong, but glad that's cleared up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

smittydog

Reaction score
premium ride is just tuned shocks with air leveling. Look at the shock and there is an air line going into it....called premium ride.

magnetic ride control is when the shock has wires into it that control the ride with electrical impulses that either stiffen or soften the shock response.

side bar...I am very satisfied with my premium ride. My last ride was a Jeep GC with premium air ride with load leveling. I liked the ability to change the ride height (would travel about 2-3 inches either way). However, the ride was never cushy. I LOVE the GMC Yukon ride now.

Last month I loaded in 600 LBS of corn in the back of the Yukon and once I started moving, the rear auto leveled out and it rode great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Smittydog.

Thanks for that response. That was about to be my next question. Which was what is added with the smooth ride suspension package.

It has amused me how many articles I've seen have completely gotten the type of suspension mixed up. Ie saying that the Yukon had the same suspension as the Tahoe LTZ.

xanadu79

Reaction score
+1 for the "premium ride". First yukon with air suspension helpers and the truck rides GREAT. No longer have the super springy-ness with more than 2 people or a heavy load in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottishJeff

Latest posts