Model Year Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sancho

Reaction score
Might be picking up a Tahoe, were there any significant changes through this generation of Tahoe that would make certain years more desirable?

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Welcome.
You need to be a little more specific on the range of years you are looking at because tahoes have been around since the mid 90's.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome.
You need to be a little more specific on the range of years you are looking at because tahoes have been around since the mid 90's.

He posted this in 2007+ so i'm guessing he's referring to 2007-2012 :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Might be picking up a Tahoe, were there any significant changes through this generation of Tahoe that would make certain years more desirable?

Like said above, in 2009 they came out with 6.2L Tahoe's with 6 speed tran. Pretty SWEET compared to the 5.3L 4 speed.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Man up and go for a 90's Suburban with the 454...solid steel bumpers and 7lbs+ of love behind you on crappy brakes :)

OP
OP
Sancho

Sancho

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the wife will go for that. We actually went to go look at an '05 I found on autotrader, but it wasn't nearly as clean in person as it was online, and neither one of us were impressed by the way it drove. I actually like both bode styles, but the wife doesn't want anything that old, so new (07 and up) body style it is. We also drove an '08 Escalade with the 6.2 and I really like the way that drove, but you could tell it was a smoker's car and didn't have many options.

Sounds like an '09 and up with the 6.2 and six speed is what I'll be looking for. No other changes?

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an '09 and up with the 6.2 and six speed is what I'll be looking for. No other changes?

- I think Bluetooth arrived in '09.

- There have been other subtle cosmetic changes, but nothing too drastic. Mostly, the Tahoe began picking up some features from the Escalade such as the chrome strip on the rear bumper, and the shifter got some chrome accent as well (in LTZ model). Further, I think the door moldings also changed in '09 on the LTZ.

- If you want to use Onstar, the smartphone app they have will only work with 2010 vehicles and up.

- Of course, although rather new, the 2012's are getting a "new" OEM navigation system.

Other than that, I can't recall anything that stands out besides the ones mentioned above.

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an '09 and up with the 6.2 and six speed is what I'll be looking for.

You might be looking for a while ... those 6.2 Tahoes in great condition are incredibly rare.

Alternatively, if you like the idea of having a 6.2, then look for a Denali which are widely available.

OP
OP
Sancho

Sancho

Reaction score
That's ok, I can wait. I don't really like the look of this generation yukons
(those huge headlights,) and am not sure I want the all time AWD that comes with the Denali. According to a service tech friend of mine anyways, they rebuild the transfer case quite often and I rarely venture off pavement or to the snow anymore.

I haven't driven a newer Tahoe with the wife yet, but do recall taking one for a drive when they first came out and thinking, meh. Nice enough ride, but didn't do anything for me.

Was the 6.2 only an '09 option? I don't think you can order a new one like that any longer. What about gear ratio, any special towing or RPO code that had a better gear ratio?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968