Mods for Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am fairly new to bigger vehicles as I have owned 4 bangers until taking out my 04 Tahoe from the wife. What are some mods I can do to improve my gas mileage?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going 65 max on highway and a lighter foot on the pedal. CAI and a tune supposedly help but I've done two cars with both those and neither have ever helped my MPG's. Get smaller rims/tires too.

Denalixl13

Reaction score
I have an 06' Yukon Denali XL AWD. I have a set of 22's that I switch out in the winter for the stock aluminum wheels. Basically, if you live in an area where it doesn't snow, you can get tires with really low rolling resistance to help save some fuel. Also, I have a cold air intake which I try to clean frequently, and a Gibson performance exhaust. Personally I think the combination maybe adds 1 mpg highway... not sure how much more tires would affect it. I don't have a tuner, but I've seriously considered it before. I'm at 168k miles and I'd rather not mess with the computer. Pretty sure my engine is set in it's ways, lol.

The key to owning a large vehicle and getting decent gas mileage is to try and never let the truck stop moving. If I'm approaching a red light, I slow way down and just let my truck crawl... hopefully the light changes before I get to it and I can just ease back on the throttle. I try to do the same thing in traffic on the highway, I keep a really long distance between me and the car in front of me, trying not to come to a complete stop. Another idea is to ditch the third row seat. The thing probably weighs 70 lbs. I've also had Bosch Iridium Pulse plugs installed, they supposedly help with mileage. (Cleaner fuel burn, etc.)

I hope this helps.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Tire pressure tire pressure tire pressure. Fill them to the max noted on the sidewall. You're welcome.

opiefavors

Reaction score
The key to owning a large vehicle and getting decent gas mileage is to try and never let the truck stop moving. If I'm approaching a red light, I slow way down and just let my truck crawl... hopefully the light changes before I get to it and I can just ease back on the throttle. I try to do the same thing in traffic on the highway, I keep a really long distance between me and the car in front of me, trying not to come to a complete stop. Another idea is to ditch the third row seat. The thing probably weighs 70 lbs. I've also had Bosch Iridium Pulse plugs installed, they supposedly help with mileage. (Cleaner fuel burn, etc.)

I hope this helps.

This^^^ and the tire pressure is the only things that I have found to help but only a little. But as soon as you smash the pedal once you can throw it all out the window.

candyman74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get the tornado and put it under the gas pedal or dont drive the truck as i found that that saves lots.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fairly new to bigger vehicles as I have owned 4 bangers until taking out my 04 Tahoe from the wife. What are some mods I can do to improve my gas mileage?

From what I have read over the years there isn't much that can be done to improve the mileage versus what you'll spend for the small gains.

The problem is the old tech engines we have in these trucks. The newer engines with variable valve timing seem to benefit quite well from tuning. I had an 02 Trailblazer with the 4.2L I6 and VVT on the exhaust side, it got quite a boost in power across the low to mid RPM range and I lost a little at the top end but I gained quite a bit of fuel economy, a little over 10%. I specifically ordered the tow tune and anticipated this as you don't spend much time at the upper end of the RPM range unless you're driving a race car.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving style will get you the most improvement. watch how you take off from a stop, and coast longer until you stop. 65mph or less. My Denali gets better mpg at 60 than 55.

Reaction score
The only way ive found to get over 10mpg is leave it in park, in the drive way. Haha not trying to be a jerk... just getting a good laugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925