Mystery plug in overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
** Updated with better photos **

2004 Z71.
Hey folks. Anyone know what this plug is for? I had the headliner pulled and when reinstalling, noticed this plug at the front of the headliner where the front overhead console attaches. Everything else in the console (pulled down in photo) is plugged in - rear A/C controls, map lights and SmartLink, OnStar mic, and sunroof and map lights. Can't find anything up there for this plug to fit. It's black.
Also thought it might be a factory connection for the rear entertainment system, which I don't have - but these trucks usually do come with some plugs for options even if they aren't used.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5630.JPG
    IMG_5630.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hell I don't know....Sirius? Yes, sometimes there is connectors there for options that were not installed in vehicle. Cheaper to just build on big harness.

My 2005 Z71 has a transmission temp gauge. The connector was behind the cluster and attached at the transmission. Came from factory that way.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are those cobwebs on the connector face, or scratches? If cobwebs, you might already have your answer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2004 Z71.
Hey folks. Anyone know what this plug is for? I had the headliner pulled and when reinstalling, noticed this plug at the front of the headliner where the front overhead console attaches. Everything else in the console (pulled down in photo) is plugged in - rear A/C controls, map lights and SmartLink, OnStar mic, and sunroof and map lights. Can't find anything up there for this plug to fit. It's black.
Also thought it might be a factory connection for the rear entertainment system, which I don't have - but these trucks usually do come with some plugs for options even if they aren't used.
Any ideas? Thanks!
my best guess is sunroof, if everything else is connected already and working then shove it back up there and forget about it.

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Hell I don't know....Sirius? Yes, sometimes there is connectors there for options that were not installed in vehicle. Cheaper to just build on big harness.

My 2005 Z71 has a transmission temp gauge. The connector was behind the cluster and attached at the transmission. Came from factory that way.
Thanks. Yes - I suspect it might be the connection for a rear entertainment system, which my truck doesn’t have. The connection in the photo looked crusty, as if it hadn’t been used up there. Others were much cleaner. As far as I can tell, everything that should be working is working - but I may pull the front end of the headliner down to double check. Found that thing after everything was already buttoned up.

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score

2004 Z71.
Any ideas? Thanks!
** Updated - solved **

It was for the rear view mirror. Forgotten I’d unplugged it weeks ago, and when I reinstalled the headliner, it got tucked in with everything else instead of “tucked out” where it would have been more obvious where it was supposed to go. And that confirms that the upholsterer got adhesive spray on it - hence the residue all over the front of the pins. A little electric parts cleaner just took it all off.
Thanks for everyone’s input.

Attachments

• IMG_5638.jpeg
    IMG_5638.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tylert93