Nail in tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't plug it, patch it. Because most tire shops won't tuch a tire after its been plugged.

I've never heard of such a thing. Who told you this? And what was their logic or reasoning behind it?

I have used plugs forever. And they work well if done properly.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the same thing, if the tires been plugged, tire shops won't touch it. It was some kind of safety issue, I remember seeing it on a poster at a tire shop (don't remember which one). It was saying how using plugs is unsafe now, and they only patch them from the inside.

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working in the tire industry for 11 years we have never denied anyone who has plugged there own tire. It is not something i would leave in there since i dont think they hold up well. But for a temporary fix I'd do it. The best is to have them patched from the inside though.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best repair is a combination patch and plug. It is a disc (patch) with a stem (plug) that is pulled through from the inside out and the excess stem is cut off flush with the tread.

OP
OP
randuff

randuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LMAO that is the EXACT kit I bought from Wal Mart

Oh and because the nail was so close to the sidewall (about 2 inches) no corporate run tire shop would fix it. I already have a new tire on order anyways, it was only $200 shipped.

Last edited:

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use that green slime stuff. Makes a HUGE mess when dismounting the tire and most shops will charge a lot since it's a pain in the ass.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use that green slime stuff. Makes a HUGE mess when dismounting the tire and most shops will charge a lot since it's a pain in the ass.

This discussion makes me feel like I am in the Twilight Zone.

How in the Wide World of Radial Tires does it make a mess?

How could a simple plug affect dismounting of the tire?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
This discussion makes me feel like I am in the Twilight Zone.

How in the Wide World of Radial Tires does it make a mess?

How could a simple plug affect dismounting of the tire?

Exactly... I use the plugs but yea I see where he says the slime **** goes all over the place and its an ass to clean up...

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I see the confusion now. The green package I posted is

brand name "Slime". It's not actually any type of green slime.

It's simply a tire plug kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius