Need help from people with OBD tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know whats the throttle % at idle in a Yukon denali? Today while I was scanning my truck due to a CEL light I noticed my % of throttle at idle is close to 20%. Is this normal? seems high to me. It idles fine but kept me wondering about that. Thanks in advance!

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but 20% does seem high, IMO. Probably a good question for someone at Black Bear. I'm sure that they'd have an answer for you.

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically your idle TPS % is going to be around 0.5% to 0.8%. On the older cars you were able to adjust it with a TB adjustment screw; on our SUV's the computer adjusts it with a stepper motor. That's why when you clean your TB from all the gunk and oil the SUV will idle really high and almost pull you along until it relearns and adjusts itself. Make sure you don't reset the computer when you clean it out because it will take longer to relearn. If you just let it clear the code on it's own it will take less than a tank of gas.

OP
OP

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the check engine light was on due to another cause. I was just checking with you all to make sure that's the throttle % because I noticed it while I scanned for the code. So could anyone one with a obd scanner plug it to their 2007-2011 denali and check the throttle % please? TIA

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check later tonight when I get home. I'm assuming you are wanting me to check it at idle? 28% isn't right unless your car was idling high for some reason like it was in open loop.

OP
OP

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll check later tonight when I get home. I'm assuming you are wanting me to check it at idle? 28% isn't right unless your car was idling high for some reason like it was in open loop.

Yes please. I just got the truck on december and im fixing stuff that i can find and im also doing fluid changes.

The truck idles fine. I dont have any experience on these newer electronic throttle bodys but its been showing between 19 to 21% at idle and goes up to 80s at wot. I know these bodies control the idle without and idle air control valves and that might be the reason why the % is higher but wanted to check here first and compare before i start trouble shooting it. Thanks

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. What I referenced earlier was the TPS voltage, not %. Mine is 20% with a relative position of 5%.

OP
OP

08mericxldenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. What I referenced earlier was the TPS voltage, not %. Mine is 20% with a relative position of 5%.

No problem. Thanks for responding. It seems I have the same values on mine so it is working the way it should I guess. Thanks for your time and the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52