New 24" concept wheels just installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow those are very nice, good job!

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is interesting ... I emailed Marcellino inquiring about custom finishing:

I had a customization question regarding your Model 114 - Concept24 wheels.

I see you have a full chrome version and a gloss black/polished version ... I was wondering if it would be possible to custom make a gloss black and chrome version?

Basically exactly the same design as the gloss black/polished version but with chrome instead of polished.

And this is their reply:

That is something that we can do, we would have to take the chrome wheel and apply a liquid paint over the chrome (not a powder coat). The finish will not be as durable as the powder coat but it would give you the finish you are looking for. It is an additional $175 per wheel to get that process done.

Painting over chrome doesn't seem like the proper way to go about this, especially at the ridiculously high price they're suggesting. heck if I was going to slap paint on top of chrome without proper prepping I can have my paint guy do it a $50 per wheel.

I dunno, it seems it's going to be either all chrome or nothing ... probably nothing. :shrug:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serge, painting over chrome is extremely common. My intros are done the same way. Nothing wrong about it other than $175/wheel. That's absurd.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serge, painting over chrome is extremely common. My intros are done the same way. Nothing wrong about it other than $175/wheel. That's absurd.

Interesting, I would have thought that high end wheels like yours would be chromed where needed, leaving the spots that require painting bare for proper painting. I wonder why they'd do it any other way ... I mean Marcellino seem to manage it in the OP's version of the wheel. :think:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Painting over chrome wheels without prep will almost always lead to finish issues in the future. The best way is to media blast the chrome off first but sanding the chrome down a bit will work too if the wheels are not abused.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any paint in any wheel will always eventually lead to finish issues. Same as powdercoat, chrome, and any other finish.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting over chrome doesn't seem like the proper way to go about this, especially at the ridiculously high price they're suggesting. heck if I was going to slap paint on top of chrome without proper prepping I can have my paint guy do it a $50 per wheel.

I dunno, it seems it's going to be either all chrome or nothing ... probably nothing. :shrug:

Serge -- My buddy (who owns a high-end wheel shop) has always said that paint and chrome (on the same face) WILL peel at some point. They did on his personal Asantis (or maybe they were Lexanis...). So, whereas I like a lot of the paint-and-chrome looks out there, and whereas these wheel companies will do paint and chrome, it's apparently just not a durable option.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the other option would be to buy them all chrome, and plasti-dip the barrels and the inner spokes. That way it can always be reapplied when needed and removed to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate