New 99 Tahoe 2 door owner has questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbody250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4x4 button normally works ok 90% of the time just the 10% it will stick and you just have to put it in drive and reverse a few times or try rolling slow in neutral. You will here a pretty good clunk when it actually engages or disengages. I just keep tapping the button I want while rolling 3-5 mph till I hear it pop in. 4 wheel hi is supposed to be shift on the fly up to 60mph but I just feel a lot better knowing that if I'm going slow and something doesn't line up for whatever reason I won't be breaking stuff

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4x4 button normally works ok 90% of the time just the 10% it will stick and you just have to put it in drive and reverse a few times or try rolling slow in neutral. You will here a pretty good clunk when it actually engages or disengages. I just keep tapping the button I want while rolling 3-5 mph till I hear it pop in. 4 wheel hi is supposed to be shift on the fly up to 60mph but I just feel a lot better knowing that if I'm going slow and something doesn't line up for whatever reason I won't be breaking stuff

OK...good to know. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate all the help!

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about brakes? I did a little searching, and seems like the brakes always need to be replaced...any aftermarket alternatives that don't wear as easily?

Bigbody250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's normally not the pads wearing out unless your rear drums arent working properly. There is a lot of these body styles that the brake pedal is really mushy from the valves in the ABS unit wearing out.

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's normally not the pads wearing out unless your rear drums arent working properly. There is a lot of these body styles that the brake pedal is really mushy from the valves in the ABS unit wearing out.

Can those valves be replaced?

Bigbody250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I used to have a diagram that showed where it was and the part number I'll see if I can locate it

apostrophe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just got a two door 99 as well! with the push button 4x4 selector i find that my t case shifts as expected, but sometimes the lights dont indicate properly and it gets a little confused shifting from auto 4wd back to 2wd.

joyride

Reaction score
With the tuneup I'd go AC Delco. As for cleaning out the intake and injectors...try running a can of SEAFOAM through the brake booster hose with the car running before you go to change your oil. It says to put it in your gas tank but it won't work as well just being ran through there. I ran seafoam in my Xtreme and my parent's Yukon and both times you could tell how much smoother it ran, at the time. I would recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who has racked up a few miles on their motors. The thing is, it'll make your motor want to die out but it's no big deal, that and since it's burning up all the gunk in your intake you'll definitely see it coming out the exhaust. Your neighbors will think you blew up your truck or if noone was paying attention and just walked out they'd think you just did a giant burnout. lol. It does help though.

As for the injectors, if you're going to replace them, and don't want them to potentially clog up again, don't replace them with what you have already. Buy the MPFI injectors. They're the non-poppet style and they won't clog, so you won't have to ever run into a mysterious misfire if one of those poppet style injectors clogs up. I'm running the MPFI injectors on my Xtreme and have had no problems whatsoever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou