New Member Intro: Southeast Michigan - Just bought an 02 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM iraqi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi man keep the good work
Your ride looks brtty sweet
I only say it may need little black touch on the body paint job

OP
OP
unt0uchable

unt0uchable

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, it's official, my trans is on it's way out the door. So instead of pulling it and having it rebuilt, I decided to buy an entire 2500HD pickup truck and swap the 6.0, 4L80e, and HD transfer case into my truck.

While nothing spectacular has happened yet, I have managed to make all of my purchase price back by parting out the pickup. It's an 03 2500HD 6.0L Silverado 4x4 Ext Cab 6ft bed, Arrival Blue. Sold pretty much all of the stuff worth a damn, still have some good smaller items and the seats, doors, and cab. Here are a couple before and after shots of the donor truck.

Here is when I first got it home. I drove 3 hours away to get it, drove it back with my FIL following. What a trip!
IMG_20160103_160224.jpg

IMG_20160105_074407.jpg

Burst_stack_578761849489644_4.jpg

And after the vultures got to it....WOW!
IMG_20160116_185127_01.jpg

IMG_20160122_162910.jpg

IMG_20160124_150247.jpg

IMG_20160124_134652.jpg

IMG_20160124_134901.jpg

So I've essentially got myself an entire HD drivetrain for free. I'm still selling parts, and hoping there is enough cash left over to do a transgo shift kit, and MAYBE a cam, but we'll see. The donor truck has 214k on it (my Tahoe has 197k so not too far off)

I did have this wild idea of having my buddy who owns a custom shop body swap my Tahoe onto the HD frame but I might have to part a few more trucks before I can afford that, but it may still be in the future.

I'll post up more once I get moving on the actual swap (or removal) or the 6.0L and all that. I need to put new knock sensors in it, and do the manifolds (one is cracked) and I might clean up the block a bit and paint it so it's nice and fresh in the bay of the Tahoe.

Stay tuned for more! Should get exciting here in the coming days.

Last edited:

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pictures no worky! thats awesome you were able to make it all back man, well done!
Sounds like youve got a solid plan, and a few good options to choose from. Def have your head on right by keeping buying while all is seemingly in "limbo" i.e. cleaning up the block/painting etc etc, it may not seem like all that much when youre chipping away at little things like that, but they def shine in the end... I had my blower sitting on a rolling tool cart in my garage for a few months, by the time it went it, it was in damn near brand new looking and ops status...
well done sir!

OP
OP
unt0uchable

unt0uchable

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like the images aren't working in Tapatalk for some reason. Working fine in my chrome browser on Android... And on my PC. Not sure why??

Thanks for the kind words! Hoping things go smoothly. I'll be playing weekend warrior to get it done, and the weather sucks here (Michigan) so it'll be fun. I do have a garage but we park my wife's Saab in there because it's our LS2 baby, lol. I'll be in and out of that. Will keep this updated though!

OP
OP
unt0uchable

unt0uchable

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haha yeah, stupid flurries...Just saw you're from the same area as I am. What part of Detroit-ish are you in? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
unt0uchable

unt0uchable

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn!! Talk about suburban commuting, ha. I live and work in Rochester Hills. Comparing our commutes would be about like comparing a Yorky to an American Bulldog. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starnuts28

Latest posts