New system installed.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rossbar

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory setup in my 98 tahoe, the new system includes the following:

Sony Xplod 52W x 4 Apple® iPod®-Ready CD Deck with Built-In HD Radio
Kicker 08KS6502 KS-Series 6.5-Inch Component System with 1-Inch 25mm Tweeter (fronts)
Kicker KS410 4"x10" 2-way speakers (rear)

Thats it, no sub at this point.. Its a huge improvement over the stock setup, its loud and very clear, but could use a little more bass. My question is would an amp make this setup noticably better without having a sub??

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have Sony and Kicker in my old ride. I liked it. I dunno about the amp, never used one for the smaller speakers. But the high end systems have so that must say something. Although they have more expensive speakers that can handle that kinda power. Make sure you dont overpower them and blow em.

OP
OP
Rossbar

Rossbar

Reaction score
I've read several posts saying if you think it sounds good now, add an amp and it will be much better.. maybe they're referring to systems with better speakers than I have, just wondering if another couple hundred for an amp would be worth the difference..

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I dont know. Mine was more of a guess from experience, so no solid answer lol

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what they are talking about is clarity. at a certain level your head unit @40wx4 is going to sound distorted. more so with 6 speaker setups. now comparing it to factory its prob 100 x's better. A little amp for mids and highs is a good addition to these trucks due to how big the interior is

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just get a small amp. i have the kicker 350.4 amp pushing my kicker components up front and kicker 6.5"s in the back and i can hear it over my subs and amps barely turned up.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still got Kicker speakers in my tahoe and I love them. Kind of wish I would have went with components but oh well.

OP
OP
Rossbar

Rossbar

Reaction score
Alright, I'll throw an amp in when I figure out my sub situation.. I can see how this could become addicting..

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, you could see huge gains when adding an amp...if you plan to add a sub later, look at a Kicker 700.5 amp ( what I am using now for my whole system) so you can power all doors, then a sub as well.

OP
OP
Rossbar

Rossbar

Reaction score
Nice.. I didn't realize they even made a 5 channel, I thought I would need 2 amps once I got the sub.. Good info, I don't know shit about this stuff..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968