No sound from radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hdprrt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New member. Need Help.
I have 2001 Yukon. For the last 4 years my radio only worked during the cold months, then around May when the weather warned up, it would stop working. This year it has stopped working at all. Any suggestions?

Echo

Reaction score
Is it receiving power (Lights and screen come on)? or just a complete lack of audio? Is it a touch screen or a normal unit? Does it have a removable face plate? or is it an older model that's built in?

sleighparker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New member. Need Help.
I have 2001 Yukon. For the last 4 years my radio only worked during the cold months, then around May when the weather warned up, it would stop working. This year it has stopped working at all. Any suggestions?
So funny - I have the opposite problem that cold weather used to kill the sound. Now it’s every time I drive for randomly first 15-20 min then it blasts on.

My head unit lights up and is fine, plus I think the speakers are both ok. I tried replacing the Bose amp under the console and checking orange and pink power wires. No fix for me yet. So strange that it’s intermittent.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a theory... But, sometimes they pan out.
Cracked printed circuit boards?

Excess heat and cold could make the board expand or contract, making a crack or components mounted on the circuit board expand or contract.

If the crack is at one of the printed solder lines on the board... Heat may make it expand and make a connection. When cold, the crack might widen the gap and break contact at that point.

If there is a bad solder joint at a pin, say for a chip or transistor mounted in holes on the board... Cold may widen the gap around the pin, making it more loose at the pin, breaking the connection. Heat could cause the mounted chip (or whatever) expand more than the board, closing the gap and making the connection happen again.

Just two theories on how heat and cold might affect the board or mounted components differently and with opposite results on when things work or don't work.

What do you think? Sounds like a great idea for a Mythbusters episode!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colemjo4