OEM Clone Headlight HID/Projector Retrofit Project [video update]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
:) Thanks brother.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

About trying to get a set ... I asked him if he wanted business from the forum and he said sure. Now that he's done a set the next ones will be a lot easier for him. However he can't do it unless he can work on the truck in person either in Richmond or in Long Island where he commutes. As described in the op, there's some frame work that needs be done and he has to adjust the lines manually whilst on the truck. So if anyone can get to him he'll do it. Btw, some might say 'of course he'll do it if he gets paid' .... believe it or not there were many times in this process where he cursed the heavens and declared 'never again!' :)

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

So more pics from the album for the lazy: :)

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Must say freshest nnbs on tyf!! soulsea, you've done a damn good job :handshake: #1

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks buddy ... I really appreciate it. :Handshake:

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serge,
I saw this and your other post on HIDplanet about high beams and flash to pass. I am not sure about the hybrid or other years for that matter, but on my 2011 the low beams stay on with high beams but low beams do not come on with flash to pass.
I assume you have a harness to power your 4 ballast, and the signal to power the ballast comes from the low beams, and the high beams trigger your bixenon solenoids. This would explain why when low beams off (during day) you try to flash (high beam only) only your bixenon shields raise up. As opposed to to night with the low beams (triggering power to ballast) flashing or switching to highbeams work normaly.

This could be fixed by simply adding a diode so your highbeam feeds back to the lowbeam/ harness relay and triggers the ballasts as well as raising shields = flash to pass with your current setup. that way you could keep the blazers in their proper orientation and use them for actual foglights

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if I understand you correctly there's a couple of problems with that:

1. It's terrible for the bulbs
2. It won't have the intended affect as the bulbs/ballasts don't have time to fire up at full intensity in a flash to pass situation.

That's why the latest revision where I'm installing the blazer fog with a halogen bulb in the inner drl slot ... problem solved. :)

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that is entirely true, though often mentioned on HIDplanet. Plenty of OEM manufactures, have a single bixenon projector that is used for high/low and flash to pass, one that comes to mind is the acura TL. Brightness is not an issue either, they are plenty bright at startup....food for thought.
But I used to design bixenon harneses with a capacitor to hold the relay closed for an extra second once activated. so when someone wanted to use flash to pass the ballasts would turn on and stay on as the stalk is pulled back a few times and the shield is raised and then turn off a second after the rapid on/off is finished. capacitor + diodes = less than $5

But I have a feeling you are more interested in trying something new and just want to add more projectors.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I used to have a TL back in 04 to 07. Honestly I don't remember how my setup was back then, but I assume it's the same as most present oem housings which use HIDs for lows and halogen reflectors for highs. I'd be curious of an example of manufacturer that uses HIDs that go from off straight to highs when pulling the stalk?

And yes, I like to try new things. :) Although in this case it seemed the only practical option.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Yeah, this is the current TL:

picture.php

All the oem setups I know of are in this configuration, presumably on account of the above mentioned issues. :think:

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I used to have a TL back in 04 to 07. Honestly I don't remember how my setup was back then, but I assume it's the same as most present oem housings which use HIDs for lows and halogen reflectors for highs. I'd be curious of an example of manufacturer that uses HIDs that go from off straight to highs when pulling the stalk?

And yes, I like to try new things. :) Although in this case it seemed the only practical option.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Yeah, this is the current TL:

picture.php

All the oem setups I know of are in this configuration, presumably on account of the above mentioned issues. :think:

The headlight above use a TSX style (single xenon) projector and use the inner reflector for high beams. The previous generation had a similar looking headlight where the inner reflector was a daytime running light/auxilary/fog light but the outer projector was a bixenon projector (a very good one) that handled Hi/Lo beam function. There are a number of vehicles like this hence the BiXenon function-range rover, nissan maxima and murano, infinitie FX35/45, porsche 911, boxter, cayenne to name a few.

Plenty of people have retroed a single bixenon into their headlight and had similar issues as you, hence my recommendations. Adding a 3rd set of projectors is not necessary, if you are looking for flash to pass, rewiring your harness by adding a diode to turn on your ballasts when high beams are on and adding a capacitor to clamp the relay on while switching on/off rapidly. This will solve the problem of no flash to pass and any concerns about rapidly turning ballasts on/off. And since your hybrid doesnt have foglights you could use the blazers for an actual foglight and have 6 projectors for foward lighting.
Mention it to your retrofitter, if interested i could provide you a diagram and parts needed

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm, I'm honestly a little confused Roy ... here's the Maxima headlight:

2010-Nissan-Maxima-Headlight-1.jpg

It has a high beam halogen reflector, every Range Rover I've seen has them too except that from what I can tell the newer ones have a halogen projector for highs. Am I mistaken in this? Are the inner reflectors just DRLs? :think:

Anyhoot, I will mention it to my retro guy and see what he thinks. In any case I can't/don't really want to use that for fogs in those housings as they sit too high. So the only two options are to either go with my plan, or leave it as is and wire them as you suggest.

Thanks bud. :)

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry. not sure about the 7th gen maxima, I was referring to 6th gen maxima that uses a hella e55 bixenon projector, and i meant to write land rover, the LR3 is another excellent Bixenon. the inside lights on these are auxilary lights not highbeam

2005-nissan-maxima-4-door-sedan-sl-auto-headlight_100280088_m.jpg

5642_st0640_043.jpg

the 6th gen maxima had HID BiXenon as an option (left), but the halogen utilized the same housings, so they were one of the few headlights with a bi-halogen projector (right)

comparison.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm interesting ... so obviously it's possible to flash xenon highs effectively from lights off.
Do you happen to know what oem ballasts either of the two above vehicles use?

Thanks bud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardostrander