Offset and Backspacing Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baccaglio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2007 GMC Yukon 4x4 SLT with a CCM 2.5 in front and 1 inch rear leveling kit. I want to go with 285 65 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers Tires with 18X9 KMC XD Monster Rims. Can anybody recommend what offset and backspacing I should go with on the rims??? I have been told to go with a + 18 offset or a + 35 offset. I would like to have minimal rubbing and no damage to my vehicle if rocks are thrown out with the tires sticking out past the wheelwells. Thanks

TREYR8D

Reaction score
I have the 285 55 R20s in the nitto TG with the 20" monsters backspaced +18. I also have the extra fender flares with the Z71 package and my tires are perfectly flush if not a little sticking out.

I'd say for what you want, go with the +35mm offset. This will give a "tire tuck" most similar to stock with the only added width of the tire from the stock 265s? to the 285s you want. The +35 vs the +18 will also help with any rubbing issues that you can run into with the outside edge of the tire.

After all the trimming i had to do (i think mine was a special case), going with the +35 offset probably would've alleviated some of that since all of my rubbing is from the outer edge of the tire.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

baccaglio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trevor thanks for the reply I appreciate it! How do you like the Nitto tires?? Do you have the Trail Grappler or the Terra Grappler? How is the road noise? Thanks

Seel

Hook'Em
Reaction score
Depends on what look you are going for. 4 1/2" of backspacing for off road look

TREYR8D

Reaction score
I have the terra grapplers. Road noise is slightly more than the stock bridgestones, but quieter than the 33" BFG AT's on my Jeep, ride is a little rougher (prolly from the Load E spec and 20s more than anything).

We've only had them for about 2 months now, not much rain since, and the snow has yet to fly....so until then, i cant really talk about rain/snow performance. Dry performance is so far only as good as i can test with the wife along for the ride....

I like them so far, winter season up to the mountains will tell the whole story.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trevor, what pressure are you running at? Just curious. I am running at ~42 psi and they seem to be wearing well at 7,000 miles. They have a little more wear on the edges.

Brad, IMO the noise (loudness) is in between typical ATs and MTs. To me they are louder than my friends BFG ATs, but a lot quieter than the Goodyear MTs I had on another truck.

TREYR8D

Reaction score
I want to say upper 30s ~37 cold. after 5k miles i'll check for odd wear and inflate/deflate accordingly.

just occurred to me that the BFG ATs are probably louder in the Jeep since the jeep has next to no road noise insulation where the tahoe keeps out a lot of noise...so take it with a grain of salt i guess.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually going to increase to 45 psi and have the alignment checked. Trying to get more even wear because the very outside edge is wearing a little faster.

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually going to increase to 45 psi and have the alignment checked. Trying to get more even wear because the very outside edge is wearing a little faster.

thats a good idea! im running the exact same thing, and notice the outside edges wearing down...

TREYR8D

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you mean both outer edges of each tire. which in that case, yea, it would seem they're under pressurized. If you're only getting the wear on the one edge of a tire which happens to be the outside in reference to the truck, then you have an alignment issue. Toe in, if i remember correctly, will cause wear on the outer edge of the front tires. before i got new tires, i could really tell the toe was out since the inside edge of the front tires were wearing much more than the rest.

I've always heard that tires should be ran at the pressure specified on the sticker on the door, not on the tire. Thicker sidewall tires may need slightly more pressure due to the stiffer sidewall putting more pressure on the edges of the tires. or if you tow a lot, etc...

Sorry if this is getting off topic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc3000