OK, Bought a 07 with a couple problems today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Our 08 Denali had scary piston slap below 50* at cold start up. The 40k and six years we had it, nothing came of it. The new owner I sold it to knew of it and appreciated the heads up.

I’d slip a new TC in filled w/ fresh fluid and service the trans, fluid & filter. Press the trip reset button and wait for another 100k.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
Our 08 Denali had scary piston slap below 50* at cold start up. The 40k and six years we had it, nothing came of it. The new owner I sold it to knew of it and appreciated the heads up.

I’d slip a new TC in filled w/ fresh fluid and service the trans, fluid & filter. Press the trip reset button and wait for another 100k.
After seeing what is in the bottom of the pan after a normal oil change this advice makes no since to me. If you are saying just run it.
Servicing the trans however does with out a doubt.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After changing oil i let the pan sit for close to a week (mostly because i was lazy but curious)
After carefully draining the pan this was in the bottom. Lots of sparkly stuff!
Nothing is going to fix that.
View attachment 441170

ouch.. is that all aluminum? wow.

any chance you have the oil filter still to cut open? I got into the habit it cutting my filters open to take a peak to look for signed it wear. so far I haven't found any yet thou.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
The oil filter on the current engine was a Napa Platinum. Cut it apart the best i could and it did have a at least 8 shiny metal chips about like you see in the oil pan.

The filter on the Replacement engine was a Quaker State. Needed changed for sure but, It had no metal in it at all i could find.

After cutting apart both the filters i can say with out a doubt i would NEVER buy a Quaker State filter. It is total junk IMHO. Single layer with week pleating and nothing stopping it from collapsing, It is also has hard and brittle filter medium after use.
The Napa Platinum was constructed very well. Has 2 layers of pleated material with a mesh to help support it and stopping it from collapsing.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting you didn't find many in the filter as the pan. i hope you have time to take a look at the motor when you get it out. id have to go back and look but if it's a aluminum 6.2 it might be worth something if it's not damaged to badly.

hopefully the new motor is solid. any plans for it before you drop it in?

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
I have 6months to return the core and get my $875 core charge back. 6.2l engines have a decent demand. Im going to try to sell it as a rebuildable core for $1000
if not ill just return it. Im also thinking of keeping it and rebuilding it to put in the wife's Avalanche that has a 5.3 in it. So i have time to decide on what i wanna do.

The replacement engine will get everything listed in post #30

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If the glittery 6.2L L92 is salvageable that 400hp tied to the 6L80 6SP in the wifey’s Avalanche would make her happy. Of course she’d be most happy with the AFM being gone in the 5.3L, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christianeckstein

Latest posts