Opinions on Potential Hybrid Mods ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think carbon fiber, chrome, black; u got too much going on bro. Don't ricer it out.

Ricer really?

Right now I have the black and chrome ... then this ugly plastic. :(

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ricer really?

Right now I have the black and chrome ... then this ugly plastic. :(

carbon fiber on the outside of a vehicle that has no carbon fiber theme to it... tacky.

I'd paint it gloss black before I'd wrap textured plastic with 3M Carbon Fiber vinyl.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does one paint textured plastic gloss black?
I asked the paint guy at the dealer body shop and he said it would look terrible.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, i concur. I think the bottom should be left textured.

You'd have to have it sanded down smooth and painted.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when I asked him about it, it was in reference to the stock black mirror sail thingies to see if the whole mirror could be painted gloss black like the caps ... that's when he told me that no matter how it was done, the difference would be noticeable. I assume the same will be true for the valance as it the same material/finish.

I'll have to keep thinking about this one ...

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a whole gloss mirror would look bad? :think:

You gotta keep in mind, that plastic piece is goign to get DESTROYED if you paint it. It will flake or chip within a month of driving, especially in that horrific DC area.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a whole gloss mirror would look bad? :think:

No it would look great, that's why I was asking him ... what he said is that there's no way to paint the textured plastic part of the mirror to look the same as the glossy part.

You gotta keep in mind, that plastic piece is goign to get DESTROYED if you paint it. It will flake or chip within a month of driving, especially in that horrific DC area.

Indeed, that's why painting isn't an option for the valance ... hence why I am considering the CF route.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it would look great, that's why I was asking him ... what he said is that there's no way to paint the textured plastic part of the mirror to look the same as the glossy part.

What? I did that to the mirrors on my 06 Silverado and they looked MINT. You can do it, its just a pain in the ass.

Indeed, that's why painting isn't an option for the valance ... hence why I am considering the CF route.

Um, do they make black 3M vinyl, glossy? That would look better than CF. Much better, even tho I don't like the thought of either. :(

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? I did that to the mirrors on my 06 Silverado and they looked MINT. You can do it, its just a pain in the ass.

Guess I'm off to UPS again. ;)

Um, do they make black 3M vinyl, glossy? That would look better than CF. Much better, even tho I don't like the thought of either. :(

Me neither, that bumper will look even bigger all gloss ...

I'll keep thinking about it and promise to come up with another solution for you to poop on. :waytogo:

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serge, its funny you talk about doing something with that front valence... I have ran through all those scenarios as well...Sadly to say, even the cf (what was I thinking).. With that being said, it is an area that does get beat up especially if you are lowered. I can to the conclusion that plasti-dipping it may be the best bet. It will give it the same look as it has now, but you wont have to worry about putting plastic and trim restorer on it... like you probably do now.

Another thing I thought is that you could do some sort of half painted theme with it.. Like paint the recessed portions and leave the other portions that textured color.. I agree with the front looking ginormous if it were fully colormatched..

I say try plasti dip. Its 7 bucks from HD and if you dont like it, it peels right off! Second on the painted mirrors.. it will look good. Ive seen it and when its prepped right it looks good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
le frog