P0303 and the mystery behind it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, nothing like a good old misfire to start off a thread.

Little backstory to this one.

A year ago, cylinder 2 popped up a misfire code, stand alone, nothing else. I yanked the plug, it was fouled, replaced it, and went on my merry way.

A few months later, cylinder 3 threw a code. Yanked it, replaced it, and went on my way.

About 6 weeks ago, on my way in to work, I got the frightening flashing SES for about 5 seconds, then solid. Guess what, cylinder 3 misfire. But this one seemed different.

Scenario that threw the code: Driving at about 55mph, starting up a small incline, slightly accellerating, and WHAM, she starts to run like crap, SES flashes, then she smooths out. Sounds like she is starving for gas, and when it starts bucking, i can really smell what seems like exhaust fumes in the cab.

Been planning it for a while, so this weekend, I "tossed in" the upgraded fuel injector setup. Cleaned everything up, let her warm up for a bit, then went out for a drive. She is running great!, smooth idle, solid accelleration, woohoo!

...then I hit the first incline at 55mph and begin to accellerate... Back to square one. SES flashed, then solid, P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire.

New plugs (AC Delco Plats), new fuel filter, new PCV. SES light turns off within 5 seconds after starting her up. Now Im getting excited. She is running great!, smooth idle, solid accelleration, woohoo!

...then I hit the first incline at 55mph and begin to accellerate... Back to square one. SES flashed, then solid, P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire.

So here is my dilemma....

Only Cylinder 3 misfire is stored in the computer.
Only when Im accellerating - from at or above 55mph - on an incline

If those three scenarios are not all present, there is no issue.

Hopefully either my shop mechaninc can figure it out today, or someone has had the same scenario and can lead me to the repair that doesnt involve crate engine in the parts list.

Off to the shop...

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Eh, that sucks. I'd retighten or unplug/replug all the vacuum lines you can find. I don't think this is a vacuum problem, necessarily, but I guess it could be. You mentioned new plugs, but did you do the cap, rotor, and plug wires? If not, certainly start there.

OP
OP
hapyspaz

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cap, rotor, and wires are on the way. Last time they were done was less than a year ago. But I went with stock parts. MSD parts are on the way to my shop, hopefully today. Even my mechanic is baffled. Seems like a simple misfire, but it is just soo odd.

OP
OP
hapyspaz

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wires, cap, and rotor are now installed. So far no misfire codes.

Still feeling a little hesitation and vibration under the same situations. Gonna take it on a drive today and put it thru some tests.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hapyspaz

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my scanner on it. 461 misfires on cylinder 3 and 1 misfire on all the other cylinders combined.

Timing was somehow 6 degrees out. Reset timing, no more stumble. Mystery solved. Next guess is Im going to need a new distributor....

turtlesdove3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally got my scanner on it. 461 misfires on cylinder 3 and 1 misfire on all the other cylinders combined.

Timing was somehow 6 degrees out. Reset timing, no more stumble. Mystery solved. Next guess is Im going to need a new distributor....

Congrats on that! It usually take ages to solve mysteries. Why do you need a distributor??

GMCYukalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i doubt its the whole distributor.. just part of it.. mainly the gear on the very bottom of it, its made of cheap metal and wears out pretty easy (100,000mi or so) - my truck did the same thing around 65mph going up hill it was always random cyl misfire and mainly cyl 6

Reaction score
EXACT same thing happened to me today, driving up a slight hill (the only one in the area, figures) about 45-50 suddenly P0303 throws. Same situation with the light SES light flashes then solid, alternating between.

Something that i found strange about this whole situation was that today is only the second day that i have driven my tahoe in about 3-4 weeks. Yesterday i just flushed the cooling system, changed the thermostat, and found a leak in my radiator.

Do you guys think i could have done something while back flushing the coolant system to cause this misfire? I was thinking spashed water while draining the radiator, got the wires wet or something of that nature.