painting rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scribble

Reaction score
Has anyone used duplicolor or another brand of paint to paint aluminum wheels. I have a set of 22" Giovanna wheels a guy no longer wanted due to the back side of the rims being slighlty pitted and chrome pealing in spots from poor maintenance. I was thinking of spraying the back side of the rims a siliver/chrome like finish to just make them look better. I also need to try and paint the center caps chrome again as they are badly etched from lack of care as well.

calderb123

Reaction score
no personal experience on painting chrome, however if you were to opt to go for black rims plasti dipping them would be your best choice. if done well and you prep the rims right it looks nearly professional for only about 6 bucks a can

OP
OP
S

scribble

Reaction score
Hmmmm I may have to think about that. Its a white denali though so not sure on black rims.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

2000Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it right and make it last I would look into powder coating. Got it done to my wheels going on 3 years now and they still look brand new.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got my vote for the powder coating.. nothing beats a baked on finish.. and the last thing you want it shipped up rims..

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used both plasti-dip and duplicolor on chrome trim, and black paint on steel wheels. The plasti-dip is a good choice if you wanna see what your wheels would look like in black, but it's a dull finish that may not look that sharp if the rest of your truck shines. The duplicolor is ok, but I found it didn't come out exactly as I had hoped. If you look closely at it (not many people do) you can tell it's not a pro job.

Painting chrome is tough and requires big time sanding and prep, so you'll want to be sure you want black rims before you attempt this. If you choose black paint, go with a high quality self-etching primer, then maybe a couple coats of regular primer, then a high quality black paint, and clear coat.

If you have time, and not a lot of money into those wheels, I'd take one wheel and plasti dip it to get an idea of how it looks first. If you like it, I'd have them powder coated. If not, peel it off, and try the black chrome paint. If you don't like that, powdercoat. Plastidip is about 7 bucks a can, the black chrome kit ran me 16 I think. The black paint and primer all-in-all was close to 50 but I got a good deal on it.

There are a few guys on here with white trucks and black wheels, and it looks pretty nasty.

OP
OP
S

scribble

Reaction score
Can someone make Photoshop these rims black please

a6b60359-0996-8f35.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member