Parking brake issues with 2010 Yukon XL 2500 - are there different parking brake systems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calsdad

Reaction score
Recently had to do some work on my 2010 Yukon XL 2500 so it can pass inspection. Noticed that the parking brake wasn't working pretty much at all a month or so ago - I don't usually use it , but the last time I did - it was working fine.

Anyway - so what I found was that the rear brakes needed to be totally replaced. The backing plates were seriously rusty, the parking brake activator arm was rusted up tight - etc. So I pretty much rebuilt the entirety of the rear brakes - put in new parking brake shoes, new rear rotors, new calipers - etc.

The other part of the problem was that the parking brake cable was just hanging down as it ran down the underside of the truck - it looked like it have been stretched an inch or more. I thought maybe the seized up parking brake arm might have not been letting the cable return and take up the slack, but that's not what it was. The cable still has a massive amount of slack in it even with the brakes themselves are all brand new and working fine.

Anyway - researching how to fix the slack in the cable, I see all this stuff about self adjusting parking brake pedal - and also references to Sierra/Silverado/Suburban/Yukon trucks of this era - having a parking brake release lever.

My truck doesn't have any of this - the parking brake pedal mechanism itself doesn't do any self adjust - and it also doesn't have a release handle.

Is this something that was changed? Or did it vary from truck to truck? I'm wondering if maybe I should try and retrofit one of the self-adjusting parking brake pedals into the truck and get the release handle too.

I'm also wondering if anybody has had any issues with the parking brake cables stretching like this - it just seems "weird" - seeing as how I don't really use the parking brake all that much.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you snagged the cable on something and that’s what caused the premature parking brake failure, and the cable stretching?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently had to do some work on my 2010 Yukon XL 2500 so it can pass inspection. Noticed that the parking brake wasn't working pretty much at all a month or so ago - I don't usually use it , but the last time I did - it was working fine.

Anyway - so what I found was that the rear brakes needed to be totally replaced. The backing plates were seriously rusty, the parking brake activator arm was rusted up tight - etc. So I pretty much rebuilt the entirety of the rear brakes - put in new parking brake shoes, new rear rotors, new calipers - etc.

The other part of the problem was that the parking brake cable was just hanging down as it ran down the underside of the truck - it looked like it have been stretched an inch or more. I thought maybe the seized up parking brake arm might have not been letting the cable return and take up the slack, but that's not what it was. The cable still has a massive amount of slack in it even with the brakes themselves are all brand new and working fine.

Anyway - researching how to fix the slack in the cable, I see all this stuff about self adjusting parking brake pedal - and also references to Sierra/Silverado/Suburban/Yukon trucks of this era - having a parking brake release lever.

My truck doesn't have any of this - the parking brake pedal mechanism itself doesn't do any self adjust - and it also doesn't have a release handle.

Is this something that was changed? Or did it vary from truck to truck? I'm wondering if maybe I should try and retrofit one of the self-adjusting parking brake pedals into the truck and get the release handle too.

I'm also wondering if anybody has had any issues with the parking brake cables stretching like this - it just seems "weird" - seeing as how I don't really use the parking brake all that much.
The parking brake actuator needs the slack taken up. There are how to videos on youtube to do this. These trucks came with two types, the lever release and push to release styles. If you don't use it and maintain it, you'll lost it.

OP
OP
C

calsdad

Reaction score
Any chance you snagged the cable on something and that’s what caused the premature parking brake failure, and the cable stretching?

I suppose it's possible something snagged the cable and that is what stretched it out. The thing is - I got a new intermediate cable (on the driver's side - between the cable coming from the pedal - and the cable ends from the two cables running to each wheel ...... that's the intermediate cable) - and compared it side by side with the one that's in there - and they appear to be the same length.

OP
OP
C

calsdad

Reaction score
The parking brake actuator needs the slack taken up. There are how to videos on youtube to do this. These trucks came with two types, the lever release and push to release styles. If you don't use it and maintain it, you'll lost it.

It probably gets used 3 or 4 times a year. That's why I'm a little perplexed as to why it seems so stretched out. It's not like I drove with the parking brake on - when I took the rear wheels apart ( I pulled off the hubs, put on new backing plates - etc) - the parking brake shoes were in pretty good shape friction pad-wise. It's just that everything was becoming rusted to hell.

I got one of those little turnbuckle type things from NAPA that you can use to take up the slack in a parking brake cable - and it did ok at removing the slack - but it bottomed out and the cable is still a little loose.

I guess one of the main things I'm wondering is - is the parking brake pedal / actuator assembly - swappable? I'd rather have the ratcheting style with the release handle in there anyway - and since it seems like my best course of action at this point is just to replace all the damn cables and hope that solves the situation - I figure I might as well swap in one of the ratcheting/handle release pedal assemblies while I'm doing that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably gets used 3 or 4 times a year. That's why I'm a little perplexed as to why it seems so stretched out. It's not like I drove with the parking brake on - when I took the rear wheels apart ( I pulled off the hubs, put on new backing plates - etc) - the parking brake shoes were in pretty good shape friction pad-wise. It's just that everything was becoming rusted to hell.

I got one of those little turnbuckle type things from NAPA that you can use to take up the slack in a parking brake cable - and it did ok at removing the slack - but it bottomed out and the cable is still a little loose.

I guess one of the main things I'm wondering is - is the parking brake pedal / actuator assembly - swappable? I'd rather have the ratcheting style with the release handle in there anyway - and since it seems like my best course of action at this point is just to replace all the damn cables and hope that solves the situation - I figure I might as well swap in one of the ratcheting/handle release pedal assemblies while I'm doing that.
I will eventually do the opposite, add the JNC, push to release system to my truck when I swap axles. Here is the parts list, you will also need the knee bolster. The GM OE and ACDelco part numbers are not for the same items to the best of my knowledge, there is a difference in quality.

1629256835033.png

You can verify this with your VIN here: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Oh! I just noticed that yours is a 2500 and not a 1500 XL, disregard my part numbers and use the ACDelco website and GMPartsDirect and GMPartsGiant to get the part numbers.

OP
OP
C

calsdad

Reaction score
If its a 2500 it probably has the the inner drum. Its a PITA to work with.

Yes - it's a bit of a pain. I ended up pulling the axles out, then pulling the hubs off the 14 bolt axle - just to get easily to the parking brake assembly. I used to have a 2003 2500 Suburban - and the backing plates rotted almost completely off the rear axle on that truck. So I was prepared this time and pulled the backing plate/caliper mount assembly off as well - put on new backing plates, reassembled with all new parking brake pads & pieces - and also replaced the hub seals - etc. I thought that maybe the parking brakes weren't working because the actuator/lever thing was really rusted all to hell - but after replacing all the pieces..... I found that it was still the stretched cable that appeared to be the issue.

At this point the best thing I can figure to do - is just replace all of the parking brake cables and the pedal assembly too - to try and take out any slack that is there.

TrybalRage

Reaction score
I discovered my new-to-me 2500 Suburban has what appears to be a stretched out parking cable. The "intermediate" (i guess?) that runs down the outside of the frame on the drivers side sags when it's not engaged, and when the pedal is pressed down it just takes the slack out without ever engaging the parking brake.

It doesn't appear to be adjustable anywhere, which is kind of dumb.

Wondering if you ever got your issue fixed.

OP
OP
C

calsdad

Reaction score
I discovered my new-to-me 2500 Suburban has what appears to be a stretched out parking cable. The "intermediate" (i guess?) that runs down the outside of the frame on the drivers side sags when it's not engaged, and when the pedal is pressed down it just takes the slack out without ever engaging the parking brake.

It doesn't appear to be adjustable anywhere, which is kind of dumb.

Wondering if you ever got your issue fixed.
That sounds like exactly what was happening with my truck.

I ended up replacing the intermediate cable , and replacing the parking brake cable going into the driver side (rear) for the parking brake - and it still has the issue. Since the pedal assembly is the only sub-assembly remaining where I might possibly take up the slack ......... that is why I started wondering if maybe one of the earlier style ratcheting pedal assemblies might work in my truck.

Looking into it - it appears doing that conversion might be a PITA , so I went down a different path - and decided what I am going to do is make up an adjustable turnbuckle-like assembly - that will take the place of the intermediate cable ..... so I can adjust out the slack and get the parking brake working again.

But to answer your question: I still haven't gotten it fixed yet because I haven't gotten around to fabricating that turnbuckle setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan