Passenger side motor mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Good morning all..

I replaced the driver side motor mount on my 2011 Tahoe yesterday. Certainly addressed the issue with slapping on takeoff.

I noticed I still have a slight clunk when pulling into my driveway (slight bump due to street gutter).

I'm wondering if this is the passenger side motor mount. Is there any easy way to diagnose that? Prefer not to throw $100+ on it if I should be looking elsewhere.

Thanks!

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

I should have mentioned i'm 2WD.

I just realized there is an entire sticky thread on motor mounts.. Feel like an idiot now. I will read through that.

Worst case I guess at 250k replacing a motor mount is probably not a bad idea even if it hasn't let loose yet. I just hate throwing money at things rather than diagnosing the problem.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

I should have mentioned i'm 2WD.

I just realized there is an entire sticky thread on motor mounts.. Feel like an idiot now. I will read through that.

Worst case I guess at 250k replacing a motor mount is probably not a bad idea even if it hasn't let loose yet. I just hate throwing money at things rather than diagnosing the problem.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

you'll probably find it bad, I'm still waiting to do my passenger side too. I'm sure it's toast. but 300$ mount is painful. seems I always find something it need more than that haha.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SWG Have you tried power-braking it when you expect the clunk? Having some tension on the drivetrain might give you some clues.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I know it lifts the drives side of the engine when you power brake in drive, but does it lift the passengers side in reverse? I seem like I should know this, but I can't remember ever trying it and engine still spinning the same way, so I just don't know lol

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
so I know it lifts the drives side of the engine when you power brake in drive, but does it lift the passengers side in reverse? I seem like I should know this, but I can't remember ever trying it and engine still spinning the same way, so I just don't know lol
I wouldn't think so, as the engine is still rotating in the same direction. I had my wife power brake it to diagnose the drivers side.

you'll probably find it bad, I'm still waiting to do my passenger side too. I'm sure it's toast. but 300$ mount is painful. seems I always find something it need more than that haha.
Price isn't too bad. From the dealer it's $190. $116 from rockauto. Unless you're talking installed, and I'd probably pay $300 just to not have to do it.

Driver's side was amazingly easy, which is why I suspect karma will get me on the passenger side.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so as you make it thru that long sticky thread, you'll sadly find the oem mounts aren't very good and if you plan to keep the truck a long time, the 300$ each hummer mount is about the only choice. there's an aftermarket poly mount but it's about the same price and probably pretty harsh. I wanted to keep mine smooth as possible but never do it again lol.

in that thread near the end you'll see pics of the mount I took out, there's not much to them. very thin runner with a hollow center that may or may not be filled with fluid. I don't think mine was, but I don't think it was oem either.

also sadly it's a very expensive job at any shop that knows how bad it is. so it's a do it yourself kinda thing.

OP
OP
LowCountryTim

LowCountryTim

Reaction score
argh.. well i went OEM on the driver's side. From what I had researched prior to joining here/seeing that sticky, seemed everybody said that OEM was the way to go.

Oh well. This isn't a daily (in that my daily is a work truck), but I'll take every opportunity I can get to drive it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap