Planned Obsolescence: ain't making them like they used to ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firmly believed that GMT8--s & GMT9--s were the last of the 'well-made' GM vehicles, and that automakers' goals now include cars that will not last 12 years without repairs that will make the owner seriously consider buying another vehicle.
10,000 mile oil change interval, my @$$.

Sorry, grouch, beat you to this one.

PPV_2018

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, it all went downhill with the advent of fuel injection.

In all seriousness, vehicles in general are lasting a lot longer than the cars of yesteryear. The problem lies in the fact that the more technology that is integrated, the more difficult and expensive the repairs are. These difficult and expensive repairs are usually technology related but not always, and when they do strike it isn’t pretty.

The 10k mile oil change thing is hilarious. I do oil changes every 3-5k miles don’t matter what, regardless of year and model of vehicle, forget what the manufacturer says. But the Wife will only take her car for an oil change once a year, because that’s what the manufacturer says to do! lol!

This isn’t really new. European car brands have long figured out that the more you can over-engineer something, the more difficult and expensive it is for the average consumer to do themselves, thus keeping customers locked in the dealer’s orbit and obviously keeping the companies pockets just a little bit fatter.

And I do believe that sometimes, unfortunately yeah, parts are designed to fail. What about the plastic tailgate handle on every single 2003-2007 1/2 Silverado and Sierra in existence?

Each iteration of vehicles released becomes less and less DIY friendly. And if you think it’s bad with ICE, try DIY fixing a Tesla. I do believe that eventually new vehicles will either be mandated to be dealer repaired or so complicated and convoluted that you won’t really have a choice. Sucks, yeah. So buy the vehicles you like and are comfortable with and maintain them well so they last you well in the future.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... it all went downhill with the advent of fuel injection.
Even if true, direct injection made the slope much steeper much more quickly.
At least port fuel injection sprays fuel at the back of the valves, which keeps them kinda clean.
Direct injection lets the back of the valves get filthy MUCH sooner. Thats's why direct injection engines suck on deez ...
DEEZ WALNUTZ!
... sometimes, unfortunately yeah, parts are designed to fail.
What about the plastic tailgate handle on every single 2003-2007 1/2 Silverado and Sierra in existence?
1st, you mean the plastic tailgate handle on EVERY GMT8-- pickup truck AND suv.
2nd, the point was that in the naughties it was a few plastic exterior bits.
In the 2020s it's the engine, the transmission, major vehicle systems,
designed to make 200,000 miles nearly impossible, whether by pro mechanic, or DIY, doesn't matter anymore.

Meanwhile my friend Heather the chauffeuse is wondering if she's gonna replace her 710,000 mile 2011 Lincoln Town Car Cartier with a Mercedes Sprinter office-on-wheels, or retire.
... eventually new vehicles will either be mandated to be dealer repaired or so complicated and convoluted that you won’t really have a choice.
Like John Deere's been doing for how many years now?

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when 100k was considered a high mileage car back when odometers only had 5 digits, not anymore.
If a GMT8-- or GMT9-- engine / vehicle doesn't make it past 250,000 miles, don't blame GM, blame the owner / mechanic.
If a GMT1-- or GMTK2-- makes it past 200,000 miles, thank the owner / mechanic.

The spirit of the Phoebus cartel has taken possession of the world's automakers.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a GMT8-- or GMT9-- engine / vehicle doesn't make it past 250,000 miles, don't blame GM, blame the owner / mechanic.

The spirit of the Phoebus cartel has taken possession of the world's automakers.
facts, GMT800s refuse to die unless you severely neglect it

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Both those have 6 digits on the odometer. I was thinking of one my first self purchases, a 78 olds 88 with a rolled odometer and my uncle wanted to kill me for buying such a high mileage vehicle lol transmission went out a year later

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT800s refuse to die unless you severely neglect them
this is certainly more true of the GMT8-- than the GMTk2--.
I was thinking of one my first self purchases, a 78 olds 88 with a rolled odometer.
My uncle wanted to kill me for buying such a high mileage vehicle lol transmission went out a year later
Someday you may chide your nephew or niece for buying a GMTk2 with 160,000 miles.
They're likely better off buying a port-injected 30 year old survivor, even with more miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike8487