Please help overheating issue - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thought it would let everyone know I got it figured out turns out the brand new thermostat out of the box is junk it's not even opening up until it reaches 205 degrees yet it is a 187 degree thermostat. I tested it by putting it in a pot of boiling water. Used a thermometer keep track of the temp of the water as it heated up and finally at 205 degrees the thermostat started to open as the water reached a hard boil it finally opened all the way. So I'm replacing the thermostat with the 160° one. And for those who are interested the orifice on my original radiator date coded to 2001 a 3/32 drill bit fit in the orifice hole perfectly. I had already bought the new radiator I might as well install it at least and I know the whole cooling system has been replaced minus the heater core. I guess the motor rad fail safe thermostats are not as good as they used to be. I thank everyone for their help with this thank you.

I knew this had to be something stupid and simple and I wasn't going crazy.
Dang I had the exact same thing happen to me on an explorer years ago. Nobody (except finally me) could figure it out. It was new and one of those failsafe tstats as well.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought it would let everyone know I got it figured out turns out the brand new thermostat out of the box is junk it's not even opening up until it reaches 205 degrees yet it is a 187 degree thermostat.

I knew this had to be something stupid and simple and I wasn't going crazy.
Did you go with OEM or aftermarket this time?

Edit: For your replacement of the one from autozone that was bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian