please help reset evap and o2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot moore

Reaction score
So trying to get my 2012 yukon denali ready for inspection. When I took it in it says my o2 sensor and evap sensor are not ready. they told me to drive the car 60 miles and bring it back. I did, but that didn't get either ready. I have since read about the evap sensor. I had less then 1/4 tank of gas so that might have been the issue. I have read about drive cycles and such. is there anything else I need to do, or check in order to get the o2 sensor ready? thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So trying to get my 2012 yukon denali ready for inspection. When I took it in it says my o2 sensor and evap sensor are not ready. they told me to drive the car 60 miles and bring it back. I did, but that didn't get either ready. I have since read about the evap sensor. I had less then 1/4 tank of gas so that might have been the issue. I have read about drive cycles and such. is there anything else I need to do, or check in order to get the o2 sensor ready? thanks
put more gas in it and drive it, the evap can take a few drive cycles which means it has to be fully cooled down and then driven until fully warmed up and then repeat. you can't force it to happen. so drive it in the morning, park it, let it sit all day and then drive it in the evening again, let it sit overnight, then repeat until it sets. normally in most places you are allowed 1 sensor to be not set, so once the 02 set's you may be able to get it done inquire with the technician to confirm if you are allowed 1 not set or not.

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
put more gas in it and drive it, the evap can take a few drive cycles which means it has to be fully cooled down and then driven until fully warmed up and then repeat. you can't force it to happen. so drive it in the morning, park it, let it sit all day and then drive it in the evening again, let it sit overnight, then repeat until it sets. normally in most places you are allowed 1 sensor to be not set, so once the 02 set's you may be able to get it done inquire with the technician to confirm if you are allowed 1 not set or not.
thanks, yes I can have 1 sensor that is not ready so I need the o2 sensor to get ready. I found the guide again how to monitor the readiness with torque. so at least I will know when it is ready. I also found a great guide for the evap readiness. it requires a cold start, and the vehicle to set for 17 hours. right now the cold start can not happen and the temps are not dropping enough overnight to ready the temps they need to be at.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks, yes I can have 1 sensor that is not ready so I need the o2 sensor to get ready. I found the guide again how to monitor the readiness with torque. so at least I will know when it is ready. I also found a great guide for the evap readiness. it requires a cold start, and the vehicle to set for 17 hours. right now the cold start can not happen and the temps are not dropping enough overnight to ready the temps they need to be at.
Ya the evap can be hard to do, the 02 though should set easily

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
I was surprised that driving highway and in town for 60 miles over the weekend did not reset the o2 sensor. I will try it some more. thanks again. I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something simple.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my o2 passes really quickly. the evap is a mess, takes months for mine to test, probably like you say it can't cool down enough over night. it's 90s at night during the summer. this state is mostly miserable hahw

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised that driving highway and in town for 60 miles over the weekend did not reset the o2 sensor. I will try it some more. thanks again. I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something simple.
try driving it at 55 for a while, shut it off let it sit a minute then start it back up and drive some more at 55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian