Power Lift gate problem.....Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Louis, where in Michigan are you located...

I am in the southeast area...

Have yet to visit a GM dealer yet...

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My liftgate opens with the buttons, but won't open manually? Any ideas?

Age 16 with a Tahoe LTZ, NICE! Life must be good for you. ;)

Make sure you have the override button sitting in the override position, otherwise you will not be able to manually open the lift gate.

Straight out of the manual:
"Manual Operation of Power Liftgate
To change the liftgate to manual operation, toggle the switch on the overhead console to the “Disable” position indicated by a circle. With the power liftgate disabled and the door unlocked, the power liftgate can be manually opened and closed.
To open the liftgate, press the touchpad on the handle on the outside of the liftgate, and lift the gate open. To close the liftgate, use the pull cup or pull strap to lower the liftgate and close. The liftgate latch will power cinch to closed position. Always close the liftgate before driving.
If the RKE button or the power close button on the liftgate is pressed while power operation is disabled, the lights will flash three times, but the
liftgate will not move."

Hope this helps.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything was working fine on mine this morning...went to the lake to drop off the jet ski, and the gate just unlocks and barely unlatches the gate...nothing happens just weird noises...open it manually, it wont even go down w the button...

Whats wrong with this thing????

Does it go down about a 1/3 of the way then open again?

Louis
GM Customer Service

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score

Louis
GM Customer Service

NO,it just makes noise (releases the latch that holds it closed) and doesnt go up...when i open it to the top and press the Close button, it makes some noise on the latches uptop, and a very quiet noise from the motor and just doesnt go down...lights and everything flash and nothing happens...

I hear that many people end up replacing the motor and turns out its not it...

Opened few of the panels yesterday and the gears seem fine, they arent worn out or anything...

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
Age 16 with a Tahoe LTZ, NICE! Life must be good for you. ;)

Make sure you have the override button sitting in the override position, otherwise you will not be able to manually open the lift gate.

Straight out of the manual:
"Manual Operation of Power Liftgate
To change the liftgate to manual operation, toggle the switch on the overhead console to the “Disable” position indicated by a circle. With the power liftgate disabled and the door unlocked, the power liftgate can be manually opened and closed.
To open the liftgate, press the touchpad on the handle on the outside of the liftgate, and lift the gate open. To close the liftgate, use the pull cup or pull strap to lower the liftgate and close. The liftgate latch will power cinch to closed position. Always close the liftgate before driving.
If the RKE button or the power close button on the liftgate is pressed while power operation is disabled, the lights will flash three times, but the
liftgate will not move."

Hope this helps.

It is, lol :). But I tried that and it still doesn't work?

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Might take the panel off today and see if my friend can help me diagnose the electrical part (i suck at that stuff)...hopefully i find something...

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Replaced the rear LATCH on the bottom of the door...works perfect!

TATERTOT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is, lol :). But I tried that and it still doesn't work?
I am having the same issue, key fob opens hatch, overhead console button opens hatch but hatch button does not open hatch. Tried override switch, did not work either. 2007 Yukon Denali

h89bogez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Louis
GM Customer Service

Louis, my 20098 Yukon just started doing the opposite. It opens 1/3 of the way and then closes. If I use manual opening, it won't stay open and it slams down. Sounds like you've seen this before? I have an appointment with my GMC dealer tomorrow. Do you have anything in mind that I should share with them? I have printed out the GMC "Condition/Concern" listed earlier in this thread.

Thanks,
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968