Power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Would never bad mouth a tech. I am very thorough and clear when speaking with them. The level of frustration is high for me in this matter. I keep notes on what I say and results of what happens as a result.
I'm here to get input and so far I've been getting a lot of great information from people who have nothing to gain from helping. Which I hold in the highest regard.
Thank you for your input it's valued amd duly noted
"throwing money at people for doing nothing", IMO, sounds like it. Perhaps you didn't mean to say it that way and I am, as a retired tech, by no means "thin skinned" and "looking for a safe room". It was a statement made in the heat of the moment. You have spent money and gotten nowhere YET. A tech's time has to be paid for, for good or bad, except blatant dishonesty. The techs are doing "something", it's the fault of the truck for not failing long enough to be traced and problem found.

I know you did not mean it, just be aware that besides myself, there are likely techs on here that would feel as bad as I would if I could not duplicate the problem or find the problem. In those instances, I usually apologize and cut my diagnostic time/charges in half.

By the way, did the dealer tech check for TSB's about this problem? They should have. Even if they tell you they did and still found none. Did they mention TSB's?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The beauty of what I do now is that I don't have to work on what I don't want to work on. In a thread I have going in the "garage" section, I have a story there about a recent problem with a pushy privileged youngster, that thought he was gonna tell me what I should do for free. It did not go the way he expected.

OP
OP
jerwilso

jerwilso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"throwing money at people for doing nothing", IMO, sounds like it. Perhaps you didn't mean to say it that way and I am, as a retired tech, by no means "thin skinned" and "looking for a safe room". It was a statement made in the heat of the moment. You have spent money and gotten nowhere YET. A tech's time has to be paid for, for good or bad, except blatant dishonesty. The techs are doing "something", it's the fault of the truck for not failing long enough to be traced and problem found.

I know you did not mean it, just be aware that besides myself, there are likely techs on here that would feel as bad as I would if I could not duplicate the problem or find the problem. In those instances, I usually apologize and cut my diagnostic time/charges in half.

By the way, did the dealer tech check for TSB's about this problem? They should have. Even if they tell you they did and still found none. Did they mention TSB's?
They didn't mention TSB. But since I saw this i looked it up and found 3. They all mention the issues im having. I'll go through it and do what it says. Hopefully this will help.
No disrespect intended. If someone took it the wrong way.
Attached are the TSB's I found as a result of your reply.

Attachments

• MC-10113356-9999.pdf
    698.1 KB · Views: 7
  • MC-10209138-0001.pdf
    290.3 KB · Views: 7

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There you go. Great. Now, if you go thru the TSB's or have the new tech go thru them and the problem gets fixed, even better. I would print these TSB's out for the new tech, in case they cannot pull up. I would also, if the TSB's fix it, take the info back to the dealer and ask why you could find the TSB's and they could not. I guarantee you that if it was me confronting them, they would pay me $200 to get me out of there. This TSB search and find, pisses me off even more about Stealerships.

OP
OP
jerwilso

jerwilso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Would it be over the top if I brought the TSB I found to the dealer?
There you go. Great. Now, if you go thru the TSB's or have the new tech go thru them and the problem gets fixed, even better. I would print these TSB's out for the new tech, in case they cannot pull up. I would also, if the TSB's fix it, take the info back to the dealer and ask why you could find the TSB's and they could not. I guarantee you that if it was me confronting them, they would pay me $200 to get me out of there. This TSB search and find, pisses me off even more about Stealerships.
Was about to ask if taking the TSB to them would make it seem like I'm calling them out.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't mention TSB. But since I saw this i looked it up and found 3. They all mention the issues im having. I'll go through it and do what it says. Hopefully this will help.
No disrespect intended. If someone took it the wrong way.
Attached are the TSB's I found as a result of your reply.
Good find for sure. It basically sums up what we have collectively said here. Awesome shout-out to @Doubeleive for having a similar issue and tying it all together. I had thought alternator initial, but shrugged it off due to the age of the truck and the good track record they generally have.

Don't feel bad at all foe bringing it to their attention. THEY HAVE ALL THE INFO FOR FREE at their fingertips. I find it funny when techs (used to be one) can't look past the clock to find more info.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should re-itterate they will if you ask them too check them, but if you didn't mention them previously and the vin was not on the tsb then they probably didn't even see the tsb

OP
OP
jerwilso

jerwilso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no but sometimes if the vin is not on the tsb they won't bother to check those
It was the heat shield hitting the touching the solenoid b+ battery cable. When I went under the truck the heat shield sparked then I disconnected the negative and just pulled it off. There was no screw holding it in place. Took pictures. Thank you guys for all of your help.

Attachments

• 20231216_120646.jpg
    20231216_120646.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231216_120652.jpg
    20231216_120652.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231216_120659.jpg
    20231216_120659.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231216_120716.jpg
    20231216_120716.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231216_120721.jpg
    20231216_120721.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
jerwilso

jerwilso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good find for sure. It basically sums up what we have collectively said here. Awesome shout-out to @Doubeleive for having a similar issue and tying it all together. I had thought alternator initial, but shrugged it off due to the age of the truck and the good track record they generally have.

Don't feel bad at all foe bringing it to their attention. THEY HAVE ALL THE INFO FOR FREE at their fingertips. I find it funny when techs (used to be one) can't look past the clock to find more info.
Found the issue. Heat shield touching the solenoid. Thank you guys.

Attachments

• 20231216_120721.jpg
    20231216_120721.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231216_120716.jpg
    20231216_120716.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231216_120659.jpg
    20231216_120659.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231216_120652.jpg
    20231216_120652.jpg