Power Lumbar Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Davidson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've already tried searching around for a fix to this, and haven't found any threads with luck or a successful fix.

I have a 2007 Yukon SLT with power lumbar. The up/down function works great, but the lumbar itself is broken. The motor runs and stops at the points that it should, but the lumbar does absolutely nothing. It worked only for a short time after I bought it a couple of weeks ago, then I felt a *SNAP* in the seat and it no longer works.

I've already disassembled the seat back, and located the motor that runs the lumbar mechanism (very interesting contraption back there). It seems like the gear in the motor is broken and needs to be replaced. I found the replacement assembly on gmpartsdirect.com but it seems as if it's no longer available. Checked the part for a Yukon, Tahoe and even an Escalade and they are all out. Sounds like I am not the only one... whoopee lol. So far I have been unable to locate any replacement parts... and I would rather have a visit to the dealer for the part (or assembly, I'm afraid..) as a last resort.

I consider myself pretty technically inclined, so I don't mind taking on serious electronics work or changing the gears, mechanical parts, etc.

So... is there anyone out there who has successfully been able to repair this issue? Anyone know of the part number or way to locate a replacement motor or gear (hopefully metal?) My aching back thanks you all in advance haha. Any help is highly appreciated!

Reaction score
If i remember right its the rod that the lumbar mechanism ride on pop out of the frame assy however if its the cable that broke you do have to buy the whole assy from the dealer its not hard to replace

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Charlie Davidson,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I understand that you are looking to resolve this issue yourself. I might not be able to provide you any technical support but I would be happy to create a case in our system to document your vehicle concern. Also, I would be happy to provide you with a part number or locate a dealership in your area to diagnose your vehicle. Please contact me via private message if I can be of any assistance to you.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Addicted

Reaction score
Me too

The 07 Yukon XL I just purchased has the same issue. The lumbar was stuck out, and I didn't like it. I pulled the rear panel off of the drivers seat and drilled out the rivet that holds the lumbar in/out adjustment motor. After removing the motor and cable (not very difficult), I took the screws out of the motor gear box cover. Sure enough, the little gears inside were all broken.

With the motor removed, I am happy with the lumbar setting (very little). The up down adjustment still works and gives a little change to the feel of the seat. Unless I can find gears or a replacement motor, I will just leave it the way it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian