Preparing to replace 4L60e myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that since reading this thread I've looked into Chevy's Transmission Adaptive Pressure and there's a lot of information out there confirming Alldata's info. There's YouTube videos showing the tables and I read on many forums about the feature. It seems there are indeed cells stored in the PCM that are used to compensate for wearing or out of tolerance trans components. They all seem to call this adaptive learning. My question then, @01ssreda4 , is why do you insist it's not true? Not trying to cause trouble, just trying to learn and understand. Thanks.
PS here's just one link to a conversation on fullsizechevy on the topic: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...-4L60E-Tranny-Adaptive-Learning-DeProgramming

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are all here to learn, so I'm glad that was posted. But my take is slightly different....not disputing what that said but I seriously question the practical application and scope of this system and its capabilities. The reality I see is, im not gonna lie, stock 4l60Es shift like ass. Ive driven a bunch of them, and if this has adaptive shifting it sucks. I also own and drive built units, and have tuned all the above. You can make these things shift really nice by making hard changes to the pcm programming, then once done, the adaptive NEVER takes it back away from you. Ive also had complex issues develop before and after transmissions are built where the programming that was good stock has created excessively harsh shifts after the trans was built properly. The adaptive never fixed itself, it would always require modification to the pressure tables in the specific areas of issue. If this system works, it doesnt work well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it, it only is meant for a stock tune and to compensated for components as they wear, as in solenoids and such. I saw in one Youtube video where one had continually adjusted for a solenoid problem until it couldn't compensate anymore, but the tables showed this happening and the trans shop used it as a diagnostic tool as well. And I read in a forum where the adaptive learning also caused problems after the trans was built like you mentioned because the tables weren't cleared. So as far as how well it works is debatable, I guess for sure, but the fact is it does have adaptive learning apparently is true. I'm only a novice so I'm trying to learn, and I did have Blackbear tune for my driving and whatnot. I learned mine has a shift kit of some sort installed when I had a shop install a Corvette servo (I knew when I bought the truck that the trans had been rebuilt), and I had Blackbear remove torque management but that's about all I know. But if I ever have it built I'd want to know about the TAP function in case it caused trouble. So I'm glad we got the chance to clear this up. BTW, my 4L60e is shifting great now after mods and tuning but I understand it's still a weak link in my drivetrain and one of the reasons I'm still on the fence about installing a blower.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish it had a solid figure about exactly how much pressure could be adapted. That would tell a lot of the story. If its design is only to compensate for component wear, then common sense makes me think its very limited by design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbycombs