Pulling L94 engine and 6L80 trans as a unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoggNM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just removed a seized L94 and 6L80 trans together as a unit, and wanted to describe the process I used in case it helps others. 2011 Yukon XL Denali AWD. My engine was seized, and I knew it wasn't a bearing issue because the motor wouldn't turn much at all, and it was a hard lockup. Since I couldn't access the Torque Converter bolts to separate the engine from the trans, I pulled the whole assembly as one unit.

I started by removing the battery, bumper cover, radiator support, radiator, oil coolers, and evacuating the ac system. This provides better access to the motor and is necessary to remove the motor and trans together when you get to that point. I then removed the air filter, disconnected the electrical harness, and removed the coil packs on top of the valve covers. Then I removed the alternator and PS pump, and the mount for these accessories. Also removed the ac compressor and mount. I left the trans and engine oil cooler lines intact but made sure they were routed above the lower panel where the radiator and other coolers sit. I removed the metal bracket that's mounted on top of the two bellhousing bolts at the top to the bellhousing, and the grounding strap on the left head near the brake master cylinder. I removed the bolts holding the motor mounts to the frame crossmember.

Then I worked on the underside. I drained the motor and transfer case fluid. Then I disconnected the driveshafts at the axle end and removed them. I had to remove the front sway bar to get the front driveshaft out, but didn't have to disconnect the links to the lower control arms. I separated both exhaust downpipes at the exhaust manifolds, and disconnected the shift cable at the trans. Then I removed the crossmember and trans mount, followed by removing the 6 bolts holding the transfer case to the back of the trans. Had to lower the back half of the assembly a bit to get to the top bolts but was able to pull the Transfer case back and out of the truck. Then I removed the metal temp shield from the side of the trans and disconnected the electrical harness to the trans. Disconnected several sensors on the bottom of the engine. and then went back to the top to rig the engine hoist for the pull.

I attached a chain to the unused threads above the exhaust manifold at the center of the block (between the middle two cylinders on each side of the engine. This is not quite at the center of gravity of the while assembly, but you can lift the unit by pushing down on the front of the engine from the front. With a helper, we lifted the motor to clear the front axles and steering rack, pulling down of the engine to keep the trans clear of the crossmembers etc. and hauled the hoist and motor assembly forward until it cleared the truck.

Splitting the trans from the motor was relatively easy, and amazingly the torque converter didn't make a mess. I removed the TC from the flex plate using a box spanner, and then mounted the motor on an engine stand for teardown. Found the #1 piston missing completely (i.e. in the oil pan) and the #1 rod fractured and the source of the locked crank. The big end was still on the crank journal though, so this appears to be a piston/wrist pin/rod failure. 225K on the motor - no sign it was ever opened or removed previously.

Removal required about 12-15 hours of effort - could probably do it in less than 10 if I had to do it again.

Last edited:

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice write-up, any Idea why the failure occurred?
I just reinstalled our 5.3 and 4l60 and fired it up yesterday. The only headache was not having the fuel lines in the proper location with the install. That and remembering the wiring supports and routing on the underside. I took gopro footage of the topside but got lazy with the driveline area.

OP
OP
L

LoggNM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its not clear if the connecting rod failed first or the piston fractured, but it clearly wasn't an oil starvation issue - once I removed the windage tray and unwedged the part of the rod that didn't break loose - it turned freely. I suspect the piston fractured, got pushed up and down and fragments beat up the combustion chamber as it got macerated, and at some point a piece of piston caught the wrist pin on one side and sheared the rod close to the wrist pin. But it could have been the rod that fractured first but since the remaining rod wasn't long enough to stay in the cylinder bore - it appears to have swung around until it jammed against the block and stopped all rotation. The windage tray took some abuse and has one spot where it's slightly deformed (dented) but not cracked or chewed up, clearly from the piston fragments that fell. Need to clean up the block to determine if it's usable, requires sleaving etc., but much less damage than I expected.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Thank you for your detailed write-up. Much appreciated. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
58caddy