Purchase incentivized new 2011, or wait for redesign?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take your time. I'd certainly give up driving a new tahoe for 2 months if I could save thousands. I know a guy that got a new 2010 about 9 months ago for like 37k.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
The rule of thumb is to negotiate the trade-in separately from the new truck. I wouldn't even mention it until you got a price on the new truck settled. That has always been my experience otherwise they'll start factoring your trade-in and crunching numbers that will be in their favor.

QFT.

The order of negotiating should be purchase price, interest rate (to ensure you get 0%), and then trade-in value. It might help to prequalify with your bank first in case the dealership tries to screw you. This can be done online. Look up the trade in value for your car so that you can go in with a realistic number in mind. Dealerships don't use KBB. They use NADA, which publishes different books for each region. It might help to run a Carfax on your vehicle too so that you know what it says. The dealership certainly will when they appraise your car.

Also, them to show you what they paid for the truck. They may try to get out of that and change the subject, but stick to your guns and don't budge until you see the sheet. Once you have it, make an offer based on it. I typically go no more than $500 over their cost. The worse my experience the lower I go or the more free stuff I try to get such as oil changes and tires. Or, if you want accessories, get them included in the deal, and in writing. Buying them through the parts department could end up coating you more.

This works both ways, though. In the end it's all the same unless you're bad with numbers.

Anyway, I ended up walking. They weren't even close after making me several offers. They were barely willing to come down more than a few thousand.

I'd try going to another dealership and tell them the truck you want is at the first dealership you were at. Not only can they get that truck for you, but they might be willing to work with you more.

Last edited:

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
The truck was actually at another lot 150 miles away. There aren't any 2011's that I could find, brand new, that were close. The dealer I visited would be acquiring the truck from another lot.

Anyway, I came home and contacted a buddy of mine from high school on Facebook who actually sells cars at a chevy dealership up North. I chatted with him briefly and he said that their invoice is around 51, and getting the truck at invoice (or slightly under) with tax and title may be a bit unrealistic - albeit, it does happen. As far as the mid 40 price is concerned, which I thought was too low, he seemed to think that number was incredibly unrealistic.

I'd have to think that as the new models hit the lot, if there are any 2011's left, that could change the dealers outlook. At the end of the day, I was looking for a deal and they apparently were not.

I'm going to shop around and see if I can locate a dealer that has one on their lot, and see what they are willing to do.

It's not unrealistic when incentives and rebates exist. Q2 & Q3 are typically the best times to bit cars because fewer are actually sold and the manufacturers want to move what is sitting on their lots waiting to go to dealerships. Iirc, GM traditionally holds a sale in July to move inventory.

Btw, OP, does your name on this forum have anything to do with a Glock you might own?

OP
OP
G

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not unrealistic when incentives and rebates exist. Q2 & Q3 are typically the best times to bit cars because fewer are actually sold and the manufacturers want to move what is sitting on their lots waiting to go to dealerships. Iirc, GM traditionally holds a sale in July to move inventory.

Btw, OP, does your name on this forum have anything to do with a Glock you might own?

Yep...I didn't end up with the truck but I am the proud owner of a new G17 :)

He had claimed to show me a sheet that had their invoice price on it, but I took that with a grain of salt being that it was higher than I expected, and my high school buddy also quoted a lower invoice price - lower to the point that it seemed to be more than a difference from one dealer to the next.

I found one on ebay that was listed for 51 something (2011 LTZ, 5 miles on it), but unfortunately, it has already sold. If it was listed for 51.5 on ebay, that would have been a price I could have negotiated down into a figure I would have been happy with. Even though they will be more desperate to move them in a couple of months, there are also very few of them left, from what I am seeing.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I would say do what your heart tells you too. I would personally wait for a redesign.
And that whole thing about not buying the first two years of a new generation is not true. After all, most of the NNBS members on here have 07 and 08 models that do perfectly fine. Yeah they may have some issue here and there, but so do the 09 and 10 models.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...I didn't end up with the truck but I am the proud owner of a new G17 :)

He had claimed to show me a sheet that had their invoice price on it, but I took that with a grain of salt being that it was higher than I expected, and my high school buddy also quoted a lower invoice price - lower to the point that it seemed to be more than a difference from one dealer to the next.

I found one on ebay that was listed for 51 something (2011 LTZ, 5 miles on it), but unfortunately, it has already sold. If it was listed for 51.5 on ebay, that would have been a price I could have negotiated down into a figure I would have been happy with. Even though they will be more desperate to move them in a couple of months, there are also very few of them left, from what I am seeing.

The invoice the dealer shows you usually includes a marketing cost (advertising) and also includes a 3% hold back which allows a dealer to borrow more to floorplan their inventory. The dealer will get this back when the vehicle sells. The inventory price on Edmunds.com is more accurate as a true dealer cost and even then the dealer can get other incentives from GM.

Since the vehicle was at another dealer maybe the dealer you were working with would have to pay invoice to transfer the vehicle to them. I would contact the dealer that has the vehicle. They may be willing to sell below invoice to get rid of a 2011.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The invoice the dealer shows you usually includes a marketing cost (advertising) and also includes a 3% hold back which allows a dealer to borrow more to floorplan their inventory. The dealer will get this back when the vehicle sells. The inventory price on Edmunds.com is more accurate as a true dealer cost and even then the dealer can get other incentives from GM.

Ah, thanks for the info.

As far as the redesign, I would much rather get a 2011, or in the future, a 2012 at 0% than have the new design, unless they did some wonderful things with the new model. In my opinion, the interior could use a lot of work, especially for a 55 thousand dollar vehicle. I'd be looking for major upgrades on the interior, to start.

That being said, I am a huge fan of the current styling - and the 0% would most likely have me leaning toward a 2012 when dealers are trying to get them off the like, much like they are currently doing with the 2011's.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Glock. Loved that gun. It was so reliable, never jammed and was accurate. That's unfortunate with the truck. Stay patient and you'll get what you want. It's when you get impatient, that you get a less favorable deal. And don't fall in love with one truck. That tends to put the favor on the dealerships side. Nowadays, you can do most of the negotiating online and have the truck and paperwork ready for you. My last car was a Honda accord. The invoice price was $25k fully loaded on KBB. I emailed a dealer and said, the invoice price is $25k, I'll give you $25,500. Not sure if he misread it or what but I got a response that said I can have it for $23,500. I drove down in a few days, test drove it, signed the paperwork and drove home. It was really easy. I asked a friend who works at a local Honda dealer and he said he couldn't have come close to that deal and that the dealer is one of the largest in the nation and they can afford to do it where his dealer couldn't.