Purchased a 2007 Yukon XL, now to make it reliable!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Y

YukonGold12

Reaction score
Alright I will look into those. I am replacing rear brakes now and boy did it need them. I’m finding that it’s Drum system? Rock auto sold the rotors and pads but I hadn’t seen the drum parts. I removed the rotor but now I am seeing this drum system. Do these components need replaced?

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpeg
    IMG_8344.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 5

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda sounds more like exhaust to me
Same here. Check the plugs, make sure they are tight too.

@YukonGold12 Don't forget to change your transfer case fluid too.

I just had to replace a hub. It did not make noises in turns this time, just noticed a slight vibration above 75 mph and suspected that the tires needed balancing. No, when we put the truck in the air for the tire rotation, that hub slumped the wheel over! Strangest thing. Check your hubs and ball joints and tie rods.

Max play is 1mm for the tie rods and .5 mm for the ball joints. The upper control arm is not rebuildable, it is completely replaced and the lower ought to be completely replaced as it is just easier to replace the whole thing then spend all the time and aggravation of pulling and pressing in new bushings and joints.

I have all the part numbers for a suspension overhaul on the forum here somewhere, we have the same truck basically. Does yours have a basic suspension or air suspension out back?

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I will look into those. I am replacing rear brakes now and boy did it need them. I’m finding that it’s Drum system? Rock auto sold the rotors and pads but I hadn’t seen the drum parts. I removed the rotor but now I am seeing this drum system. Do these components need replaced?
That's the parking brake. I've never replaced them on my trucks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are your parking brake shoes. As long as your parking brake is working, no.

Coveman

Reaction score
I second if your parking brake is working you can leave those shoes alone.

I had an old ford with noisy lifters and Rislone was the motor treatment that seemed to do the most good.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
IMG_2081.jpeg

Good photo. There’s plenty of meat left on your parking brake pads. I would jamb a little of your grease that comes in your brake kit on the pivot points of the parking brake mechanism though.

Your picture shows leaking axle seals. It’s one of those jobs that requires the entire brake assembly removed from each axle, diff cover removed & axles slid out to replace the pesky seals.

Do it now if you have the time or catch it on your next rear brake job because whoever does the job will essentially be installing the new brake parts you bring in for free.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't see an axle seal leaking on this side. Those park brake shoes are like new. You can replace but do your due diligence and check on the entire system adjustment procedure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoeinOrangecounty