radio removal help!! please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 LT. The fm am doesnt work. The antena.was missing when i got truck. i put an antena on it and stilll no.signal. i figured id pull the head unit out and make sure it was plugged in.
I pulled the dash bezel,
3 screws out of the radio, tryied pulling radio out and it will one come 2" or so. Wiggled, tryed to get up under dash ,no go. Am i missing something.

CGKirk1104

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes the wires that are connected to the back of the radio are kind of tight and hold it in. When I took mine out I had to reach my hand back behind the unit and unplug the wire connectors from the hu. hope this helps

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the wires that are connected to the back of the radio are kind of tight and hold it in. When I took mine out I had to reach my hand back behind the unit and unplug the wire connectors from the hu. hope this helps

Thanks, how did you get your hands in there. Did you remove the hvac controls? I cant even rock the hu enough to see wires back there.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

I got it out! Took out the heater controler. That gave me some room. Unfortunatly the antena was plugged in.

Does anybody know if i could test continuity from the threads on the outside of the truck that it threads on to. To the. End that plugs into the radio? At least then i would know the cable isnt broken. Ever hear of a radio loosing its am/fm?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the antenna goes directly to the plug that hooks up to the back of the radio. If the lines not broken you should get 0 resistance. I'm sure am/fm could go out, anythings possible. Does your cd still work?

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the antenna goes directly to the plug that hooks up to the back of the radio. If the lines not broken you should get 0 resistance. I'm sure am/fm could go out, anythings possible. Does your cd still work?

No cd players broken, thethere are 3 discs in it i think. When you start the truck you hear clicking and ratchiting sounds. And the little cd is spinning. The xm still works and so does the dvd from the rear.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, has it been like this since you bought the truck? If so, who knows what that unit has been through. Sounds like you need another HU, imo.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, has it been like this since you bought the truck? If so, who knows what that unit has been through. Sounds like you need another HU, imo.

I was figuring that. I was told by the local gm dealer these stock radios go out very often. I think he told me its a core replacement. $230 or so. And then the dealer has to reset the vin or something. The buggers charged me $12 to read the radio # while they were in there re flashing the cluster for $135.
Anyhow, still seams cheaper the changing the headunit out for aftermarket right.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if i do that can i still get rear cd, steering, to work. Dont really care about onstar. I just dont want to turn it on and not know it. O i also have xm right now which i kind of like. Is the money pretty close to the same? I cant say im a huge radio, music kind of guy. Id even get a used one if i could find the right one. I just want to listen to the dam radio!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts