Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks brother!

i see why people go thru the trouble of making up mounts/turn tables n crap... like 90% of making it look nice it being comfortable and repeatable. most of this is one big removable y-pipe so pretty crappy to lay it out so i can even weld it flat let alone run a stitch more than a couple inches. tubing itself sucks cause as you go around need to keep tip distance pretty even to get a nice weld

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks brother!

i see why people go thru the trouble of making up mounts/turn tables n crap... like 90% of making it look nice it being comfortable and repeatable. most of this is one big removable y-pipe so pretty crappy to lay it out so i can even weld it flat let alone run a stitch more than a couple inches. tubing itself sucks cause as you go around need to keep tip distance pretty even to get a nice weld

Very nice improvement! Comfort is key and welding in a circle sucks

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice and wide welds with good heat transfer!

I agree comfort is 90% of the battle, that thin exhaust can be a pain because it's so thin too. I kept burning holes in mine while trying to go slow and get that nice wide weave pattern.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What wire thickness are you using?

I think it's .035. I think the main problem was I didn't prep the old rusty pipe well and instead turned up the voltage to burn through the crud, in turn, it burned through everything if I wasn't careful. I dialed it back about the time I was done and it did better. if comfort is 90% of the battle then welder settings are at least 9%.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's .035. I think the main problem was I didn't prep the old rusty pipe well and instead turned up the voltage to burn through the crud, in turn, it burned through everything if I wasn't careful. I dialed it back about the time I was done and it did better. if comfort is 90% of the battle then welder settings are at least 9%.

Go to the .024. It'll change your life

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the thinner wire definitely helped!
i ran the spool of .025 out literally on the last 2" stitch i needed to make.... i had another spool of .023, but it was some weird shit, too small for my mochine to feed. so i had to finish it with .030 :(

i did cook a hole thru it on the bottom where the fit up wasnt great and it just burned thru the open edge i had to back in.

and i didnt brush any of the welds clean yet so it may look a little better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms