Rear HVAC only blows hot air in '05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Our '05 Tahoe, with nice cold air coming through the front vents, has only hot air blowing out of the rear vents when the rear HVAC is turned on. We have had the rear actuator 9.280 0 motor (part # 89018375) replaced by Chevrolet/GMC dealers 4 times in 5 years, most recently in April, 2023 (12k miles ago). I recently had to replace the blower motor resistor control module for the front HVAC unit as the front fan wouldn't run or ramp up. That front fan issue resolved with the new blower motor resistor control module. Is it possible that changing out this front blower motor resistor control module requires some reprograming of the rear HVAC actuator or is it likely that the rear HVAC actuator has failed again? Thank you forum members for your comments.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be best to just take the plastic panel off on the pass side rear and turn the controls to hot and cold and watch the actuator to see if its moving. you can take the actuator off and turn the knob by hand from hot to cold as well as a temp fix.

new actuators are like 15 bucks on rock auto. two screws hold it on and a plug. its in the great wide open too. the plastic panel other then maybe two screws at the very rear all just snap off/on.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
be best to just take the plastic panel off on the pass side rear and turn the controls to hot and cold and watch the actuator to see if its moving. you can take the actuator off and turn the knob by hand from hot to cold as well as a temp fix.

new actuators are like 15 bucks on rock auto. two screws hold it on and a plug. its in the great wide open too. the plastic panel other then maybe two screws at the very rear all just snap off/on.
I will follow your recommendation as step #1. Thanks

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Unfortunately the actuator knob/shaft into the air diverter box and its attachment to the upper door is broken. The actuator itself seems fine but it effectively has lost control of the upper and larger diverter door which it attaches to. So no matter what I do with the knob/ shaft, the door won't move and hold a position. Much bigger problem now with the entire system housing needing to be replaced.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the actuator knob/shaft into the air diverter box and its attachment to the upper door is broken. The actuator itself seems fine but it effectively has lost control of the upper and larger diverter door which it attaches to. So no matter what I do with the knob/ shaft, the door won't move and hold a position. Much bigger problem now with the entire system housing needing to be replaced.
lord thats a first. your gonna have to search for a exploded diagram of the rear HVAC box, to see how it comes apart and see what parts are broken and need to be replaced if possible. might be able to buy the whole box at a junk yard if need be. way cheaper then the dealership.

might be able to make head or tails of some of these. https://www.google.com/search?q=exp...iAYBkAYKkgcEMjMuMaAH-pAB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

DRLexpress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going through the same thing as we speak.
20240623_075152.jpg
I don't know why GM or an aftermarket company does not sell just the replacement door. I had the whole case (above link) in my cart and had to go to the next town for a doctors appointment. Town, 1.5 hrs away, also has my closest GM dealer. Checked with them and they were only a few dollars more than online by the time you figure shipping.
He is supposed to have it for me tomorrow. Let me know if you have questions about the job. Yes you can get the top case half off with out breaking AC/heat lines loose.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Bingo. That is exactly the failure in my housing. Brilliant to make that door and shaft out of plastic knowing that it will cycle through high heat and cold for 20 years! A real rocket scientist designed that! Dumb ---.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Going through the same thing as we speak.
View attachment 430972
I don't know why GM or an aftermarket company does not sell just the replacement door. I had the whole case (above link) in my cart and had to go to the next town for a doctors appointment. Town, 1.5 hrs away, also has my closest GM dealer. Checked with them and they were only a few dollars more than online by the time you figure shipping.
He is supposed to have it for me tomorrow. Let me know if you have questions about the job. Yes you can get the top case half off with out breaking AC/heat lines loose.
Let me know how your housing replacement goes. I may try it myself

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if Q-Bond would repair something like this break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
resmith3