Rear Main Oil Leak? *pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j.wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I have been using this site for information for a while, love it, but I need some help now. I have a pretty bad oil leak, I am losing 1/2 quart about every 2 weeks or so give or take. I have posted some pics so maybe someone can tell if it is rear main as I can get a buddy to fix it for free and some moonshine for payment ;).

I have castrol gtx high mileage in right now but will be switching after I seafoam today to AMSoil 10w-30.

NBS 2000 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
5.3L
228,000 miles

I dont think its oil pan gasket as the oil pan looks pretty clean..
most of the pics show the point wear the engine and trans meet.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

hope that gives you a good look.

Tommy 874

Reaction score
Looks like rear main leaking. You would have to pull out the tranny to fix it.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe looked exactly like yours when my oil pan was leaking.

In the first pic you posted, see the circle cover on the bell housing? Pop that off with a little blade screwdriver. Take a flashlight and look into the hole at the flywheel gear. If oil is on the gear from the center splashed out its the rear main If oil is just on the outside of the gear it's probably not the rear main.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
J

j.wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the help, I cleaned the engine and I am gonna add some dye to be 100% sure

saltygq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Were you about to find out where the leak was coming from. The wifes truck started leaking and your pictures look the same. No oil inside the bell housing cover. So I'm thinking(hoping) it's just the pan. Let me know what yours ended up being. Thanks,

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe looked exactly like yours when my oil pan was leaking.

In the first pic you posted, see the circle cover on the bell housing? Pop that off with a little blade screwdriver. Take a flashlight and look into the hole at the flywheel gear. If oil is on the gear from the center splashed out its the rear main If oil is just on the outside of the gear it's probably not the rear main.

Best of luck!

My flywheel looked completely dry when my rear main was leaking. If he thinks it might be the oil pan, its a far easier job than the main and might be worth a try first (as long as the truck is a 2WD anyway)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts