Red-Out tail lights DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluBrett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Firstly, excuse the filthy Tahoe. Even garage queens know how to get down and dirty.

I've been wanting to red-out the tail lights of my Tahoe for a long time because IMO Escalade tail lights look so much better without the orange compared to Tahoe tail lights.

Materials:

-HD FREE waterless wash (quick detailer works too.)
-Tail light repair kit ($2.50 at Pep Boys.)
-Razor blade (X-Acto knife would most likely work better.)
-Time
-Patience

1) First, I cleaned my dirty lights with HD FREE waterless wash.
2) Then, I sprayed 2 sprays of it onto the clean tail lights.
3) Without wiping the HD FREE away, I slowly placed the red film on, "squeegiing" the FREE out from under it with a credit card as the film went down. This prevents bubbles. Because of the shape of our turn signal lights, It is close to impossible to completely prevent any creases in the film. It should now look something like this:

009.gif

4) It needs time to dry. Blow dryers can speed up the process and are recommended by some people, but I let mine air dry. I had an after picture of my bubbless film, but it came out blurry and my camera has dead batteries.

5) (Optional) Polish the tiny scratches out that the credit card left behind on the film.

Here is the best comparison I have of before and after, but the film is still wet here.

Before:

007-1.gif

After:

009.gif

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuchie_goddess