Replaced engine, now no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After replacing the engine, 5.3 l ls, in my 2007 Yukon I now have a no crank no start situation. It only cranks when jumper cables are put to the starter. When swapping engines does the PCM, BCM OR ECU need reprogrammed?
Scanner tool reads these codes
* System disabled information stored invalid serial data
* U0140:00 Lost communication with BCM
* U0159:00 Lost communication with parking assist control module A
* U0168:00 Lost communication with vehicle security control module
*B1019:3A Sensing & Diagnostic module system configuration error incorrect component installed
* B1370:06 Device ignition 1 circuit short to ground/open

Any advice would be appreciated!!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow.. I feel like something big is unplugged or got damaged. wiring harnesses caught in between something type thing. I've got some wires between the bellhousing and the block before and tightened everything down. it was kinda ugly and something you only do once haha.

but after a once over and sure you don't have anything major missed or damaged. I'd start with the bottom code and work up. sounds like some wiring is shorted or open on the ign 1. which without looking at my software sounds like main 12v switched power. that's a pretty big one. I'd check the fuse box too, it's a 2 part thing and maybe it's half's got bumpped and unseated?

I'm guessing you didn't actually change any modules out right, just swapped in the engine. nothing should need programed for that. if the engine has different injector size or you changed cam, you can use a tune, but that won't effect the can bus network, which I what seems to be down. I'm guessing from the lack of 12v to all the modules from the ign wire being open or shorted.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Feels like a ground or 10 is missing, maybe other things.
Fuses blown too?

My money is on some grounds, probably a block and or frame ground.
Maybe on the back of the cylinder head and bell housing?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After replacing the engine, 5.3 l ls, in my 2007 Yukon I now have a no crank no start situation. It only cranks when jumper cables are put to the starter. When swapping engines does the PCM, BCM OR ECU need reprogrammed?
Scanner tool reads these codes
* System disabled information stored invalid serial data
* U0140:00 Lost communication with BCM
* U0159:00 Lost communication with parking assist control module A
* U0168:00 Lost communication with vehicle security control module
*B1019:3A Sensing & Diagnostic module system configuration error incorrect component installed
* B1370:06 Device ignition 1 circuit short to ground/open

Any advice would be appreciated!!
you have a wiring problem period, until the ignition and security is straightened out it will never start and run.
so double check your work
each of those codes have a diagnostic tree
this b1019 should be looked at to, it could be causing other issues
I would probably start disconnecting one thing at a time and inspect it for bent pins and re-attach securely and move on to another until you find the problem or problems
was anything else swapped out besides the motor? and was the motor from a matching (8th digit vin?)
B1019 00
? The SDM was programmed with the wrong options for the vehicle.
? The wrong components were installed for the content of the vehicle.
? SDM connector may have bent pins or shorting bars causing the SDM to learn deployment loops that are not actually present.
B1019 3A

The vehicle is not configured for PPS and the SDM detects that the PPS indicator is present.

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) and I think PPS is Passenger Present Sensor

B1019 3A
  • The vehicle was configured for PPS but the SDM does not detect that the PPS indicator is present due to loss of power at indicator.
  • The vehicle is not configured for PPS and the SDM detects that the PPS indicator is present.

B1370 06
The SDM detects a short to ground or an open in the ignition 1 voltage circuit when the ignition switch is in RUN or CRANK.

-Ignition OFF, remove the Air Bag fuse from the underhood fuse center. Ignition ON, engine OFF test the voltage from the supply voltage side of the AIR BAG fuse to a ground with a DMM. The voltage should read 9–16 volts.
-If the voltage is less than 9–16 volts, refer to DTC B1370.
-Remove the SDM connector.
-With the Air Bag fuse removed, test the ignition 1 voltage circuit between the underhood fuse center and the SDM for a short to voltage or an open. Verify that a short to voltage or an open does not exist.
-If any of the above conditions are found, make the appropriate repair.
-If all circuits test normal, replace the SDM.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Assuming it was an exact match as mentioned above.

The easy to miss grounds are bellhousing, driver cylinder head.

And I also have a ground on the front of the passenger cylinder head (I don't recall if I added it or if it was there already).
IIRC there might be one behind the intake manifold on the bellhousing.
That or it's just a bracket for wires, I remember that one being a big pita.

I got a crazy one when I tried to tune my throttle body, sounded like I had a toasted ECM!
Reflash and it was gtg for a few miles, finally I put it back to stock to fix the issue.

The communication ones scream ground to me.
But do watch out for throttle body swapping, assuming it has the same cylinder heads and intake, you can always put the old stuff back onto the new engine for troubleshooting.

Invalid serial... that one sort of sounds like throttle body type is incorrect, but I'm too lazy to google it.

OP
OP
B

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something is not plugged in or a fuse or two blew during the swap. Did you use your original engine computer? What kind and year engine did you replace yours with?
It was replaced with a 5.3 l LS LMG 8th digit VIN 0 from an 09 Sierra 1500. Same as my engine. Just the engine was swapped nothing else.

OP
OP
B

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something is not plugged in or a fuse or two blew during the swap. Did you use your original engine computer? What kind and year engine did you replace yours with?
Yes I used my original computer. Engine was replaced with an 09 Sierra 1500 5.3 L LS LMG 8th digit VIN 0 just the same as my old engine.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull your fuse block out to do the swap?

If you did, when you put the top hat back on the fuse block, something might have pushed out the back of the harness, or bent a pin.

Edit: Or did you take you main engine harness out so you could use the main engine harness from the donor engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
432mx

Latest posts